Anyone got sound working in Linux?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Guest

csmo

ptihibou, it makes me sad to hear about your unfortunate experiences that the others apparently also have.

I've just ordered the AOD 150 myself. I wish I had read this thread before making my purchase. I think I'll cancel and stick with my 110L for the time being until this rather important (to me at least) sound issue has been dealt with. Thanks to the OP and all the rest of you guys for your input.

Could this topic please be a sticky so that potential buyers will know what to expect and what not to expect when purchasing this model?

csmo, Mar 30, 2009
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

From anecdotal evidence, it seems the issue affects those who get the D150 with the N280 Atom. Those who do get sound from their speakers so far seem to be running the N270. The board appears to be the same and the visible difference besides the processor seems to be just the wireless card (Broadcom to Atheros) so I'm at a lost as to why you can get sound on one but not the other.

Guest, Mar 31, 2009
  3. Guest

klamath

This is not correct. I have a 10'' N280 and as I posted before

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=12252&start=10#p78849

with a kernel 2.6.29-rc8 and alsa 1.0.19 it works on my opensuse 11.1

you can see the now closed bug I opened at opensuse bugzilla

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=485700

klamath, Mar 31, 2009
  4. Guest

klamath

Except the internal microphone, ( but if you connect an outside mic in the jack, it works ) EVERYTHING on my D150X with OpenSuSE 11.1 WORKS

Please don't create panic !
    netboks are relatively new and the D150 has just 2 months or less of life. Linux ( the kernel ) is continuously changing and upgrading, and ( as shown from my experience with D150 and openSuSE where just upgrading kernel and alsa solved the problem ) linux is working to give us a suited system for the AAO, so please don't generate false panic.

klamath, Mar 31, 2009
  5. Guest

csmo

Fair enough, and happy to hear you got sound working in openSUSE. Point taken. ;)

If it turns out that a few simple steps as klamath mentions will take care of sound in Ubuntu, Ubuntu-based distros, Fedora etc. too, I will politely ask KING to unsticky this topic. Could those of you who have sound problems please try those steps (kernel 2.6.29-rc8 and update alsa to v. 1.0.19) and report back?

Thanks again for clearing things up, klamath. All we want is a working netbook. :)

csmo, Mar 31, 2009
  6. Guest

shortmanikos

I can verify sound working in a fresh debian lenny install, using latest kernel and alsa from sid - unstable (that is kernel 2.6.29 and alsa 1.0.19). No internal mic yet but it will probably be working with the next couple of alsa versions!

shortmanikos, Apr 1, 2009
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

klamath,

Miscommunication there. I was trying to say that the N270 guys will have the speakers working OOTB. N280 owners will need to work a bit to get it working. It works in MEPIS OOTB, as it does in Ubuntu 9.04. Fedora 11, for some reason or the other, despite having 2.6.29 and ALSA 1.0.19, still displays the issue.

I have no doubt that this issue will be resolved in due course, and I do not think potential buyers need to panic or avoid the D150 just because the speakers don't work without some fiddling in Linux. Come on, it's Linux. Fiddling is required :)

On a more positive note, most everything - speakers, wireless, Fn keys, BT, webcam, suspend/resume,etc - works with zero config in Jaunty. All except the built-in mic.

Guest, Apr 2, 2009
  8. Guest

Aspiration

doesn't record sound on my linix netbook either. Ripoff!
    Any utilities or other programs that can record video with sound or am I doomed to using my camera to do that task?

Aspiration, Apr 4, 2009
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

The microphone jack works with most distributions if you need to record sound.

Guest, Apr 5, 2009
  10. Guest

Aspiration

do a live update. the ucview update fixes the webcam issue with no audio being recorded. It now saves the recordings with audio as an mpg instead of ogg. Works great! Love it!

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  11. Guest

Aspiration

Had problems recording audio with the webcam this morning. Then I tried turning up the mic gain but that seemed to cut out the audio. Maybe the problem is too much feedback due to the closeness of the speakers to the mic?

Maybe using an external mic is the best option. Let me try it and see if that helps.

OK. Test complete. The mic gain keeps getting turned down and the record from mic booster also gets turned off automatically much of the time. It definitely improves the audio separation using an external mic but I have to keep going into settings>audio to select external mic because that seems to get reset as well much of the time. I quit webcam before playing back the video so the setting changes probably only work while the program remains running.

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  12. Guest

bhrich902

have the 10.1 n270 version, from my experience with fedora 10 everything works including sound through the speaker, except that when resuming from suspend there's no longer sound coming from the speakers, this happens every single time.

bhrich902, Apr 8, 2009
  13. Guest

Aspiration

Re: Anyone got mic sound working in Linux?

I did some microphone testing to see what the webcam audio quality was like. With the mic gain all the way up and recording from the mic booster, I got a lot of hissing in the back ground. Turning the mic gain down did reduce the static quite a bit. As it is bed time and I don't want to wake the wife up, I had to speak quietly. There was less background static recording from the internal mic but then I had to speak louder as well. I have a headset/mic as well which I may test. Generally, the headset seems to have a better mic and having the mic closer means not having to turn the mic gain all the way up.

There are tons of selections for recording video & audio. Have no idea what half the settings are for. I did turn on normalize voice... whatever that does. Maybe its just to adjust the sound to a specific level after recording.

Aspiration, Apr 9, 2009
  14. Guest

csmo

Sound works OOTB with Ubuntu Jaunty beta, also after suspend. Seems the newer kernels are catching up after all. Danger over. :)

csmo, Apr 9, 2009
  15. Guest

Flatland2D

I'm glad after a month of me confirming this, other people are starting to catch on. :p I don't mean to pick on you csmo, but concerning everyone who is complaining, this is really a non-issue, and has been for a while.

Here's a link to an on-going thread at ubuntu-forums regarding the 10" One. Someone reported the bug about the trackpad and it even got fixed! Nice to know someone cares.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1095616

Flatland2D, Apr 10, 2009
  16. Guest

tomt

I'm thinking about getting the 10.1.

can anyone confrim the Ubuntu works well on this ?? Including Sound, Mic, Camera , Card Slot , Bluetooth & USB etc !!

tomt, Apr 18, 2009
  17. Guest

tomt

Anyone care to offer some advice ??

I could get one this morning !! :) (or an NC10 but I've heard linux is not that stable)

tomt, Apr 19, 2009
  18. Guest

csmo

tomt, take a look at the post just before your own last ones, mate and you shall be informed. :)

I own the D150 and personally I have had no issues with Jaunty (haven't tested int./ext. mics though since I don't use them). It works so great OOTB for the One that I estimate quite a few smaller ubuntu based distros will become redundant over time. Jaunty is a killer.

csmo, Apr 21, 2009
  19. Guest

tomt

My new 10.1" Acer One arrives tomorrow...

I'll be adding Jaunty to it asap !!

tomt, Apr 21, 2009
  20. Guest

tomt

tomt, May 2, 2009
Ask a Question