Anyone have problems with Acer?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by linea, Sep 17, 2015.

1. linea

linea

Hi, I have had two Acers now that appear to be "duds". Has anyone else had the same experience with this brand of laptop? They always seem to be relatively cheap which is why I am thinking of getting another one, but if the entire brand just sucks in general then maybe I won't bother. Just want to know if I was just unlucky twice, or if I should avoid Acer altogether.

linea, Sep 17, 2015
  2. linea

something back

I have had "no problems" with acer the one I am using is four years old

What problems have you had?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    something back, Sep 17, 2015
  3. linea

Diane Lane

I've had Dell, Acer, Samsung, and Toshiba laptops. I've never had an issue with any of them being low quality, just the usual occasional software glitches or malware issues. I'd recommend any of them for general use. If someone has specific needs, those need to be considered when shopping for a laptop, or any computer. What issues are you having with your Acer laptops?

Diane Lane, Sep 18, 2015
  4. linea

mohamed samir

mohamed samir, Sep 20, 2015
  5. linea

Mzpeaceful1

I have an Acer Chrome now and the mouse pad went out and I am in need of a regular laptop but I did have an Acer laptop a couple years ago that did not last me very long. I'm not super computer savvy so I may have just contracted a virus and that may have been what ended it's life. It was tragic as I lost so many pictures and a screenplay I was working on. A big lesson for me in not backing up my files.

Mzpeaceful1, Sep 20, 2015
  6. linea

IcyBC

My friend bought the Acer last year, and she has problem with it every since but her older Acer lasted her for five years. I think there are certain models that are just BAD and UNLUCKY for those that picked those up. I usually stay with brand that I trust if I buy electronic things.

IcyBC, Oct 16, 2015
  7. linea

cheryllei9h

My first computer was an acer. It was a desktop. It one day just stopped working out of the blue. So did the monitor. I've had a couple of acer laptops too. The first one crashed not long after I got it and I had to contact acer to send me the cds to reformat it. It crashed a good bit even after that. I eventually got rid of it because it had a lot of wear and tear. I had got another acer not too long ago and it kept having problems not and wouldn't load. I took it back and now have an HP.

cheryllei9h, Oct 21, 2015
  8. linea

KimmyMarkks

I’ve heard many negative things about Acer from friends who have had them. They are not as durable and last only a few years compared to other laptops. When I was searching for laptops last year I did some more research on them and found nothing positive. There were many negative consumer reviews. I noticed the price of Acer was much cheaper and was very close to going with it. I’m glad I didn’t. I would recommend spending the extra money for a Lenovo or a HP. I had an HP laptop computer for over 5 years. It is a very durable computer, as I have dropped it several time. The only reason I bought a new computer because it was too heavy and bulky to carry on the train every day, however the operating system still works. On the other hand Dell and Samsung are fairly comparable to Acer (pricewise) but I think they are much more durable computers.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 5, 2015
  9. linea

CreoleQueen777

I own a Acer and a Toshiba laptops. My Acer runs exceptionally well. It doesn't stall, freeze or turn off by it's self.
    It runs fast and this Acer can handle gaming, streaming and download at the same time. Plus battery life isn't bad either.
    Acer Aspire E 17 Is the model of Acer that I have. If you buy a new one you should take peak at this model.

CreoleQueen777, Nov 19, 2015
  10. linea

David Smith

Yes, I have had many problems with them and many of my customers, who laptops I repair, are Acers. I think some of their laptops are unreliable, the battery isn't great on some of them. Also I think quite a few of them feel really heavy, so I'd be careful, with which one to go to. The customer support, is horrible.

David Smith, Dec 7, 2015
  11. linea

diligentworker

I'm also an unlucky customer. I thought the ACER computer was going to be amazing. Contrary to my expectations, the computer didn't perform well at all. After a couple of weeks of me using it, the first problem I experienced was no audio in my headphones. The audio would work fine as long as I didn't plug in my headphones. The second problem was the sluggish start-up.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    diligentworker, Dec 12, 2015
  12. linea

PingPongCall

I've only owned one Acer before, about five years ago. It was (at the time) their best 17-inch gaming laptop and it ran pretty well for awhile. There wast much I couldn't do with it and the only problems I ever experienced with it were heating issues. That thing got HOT:mad:, like super hot after about an hour of playing Civilization and keep in mind, the settings were kept fairly low. I think that's more of a general laptop problem though. So i guess to answer your question more specifically, no Acer is a pretty solid brand for a good price. Their Tablets aren't the worst either.

PingPongCall, Dec 13, 2015
Ask a Question