Anyone installed 7-zip?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by popcycleken, Oct 2, 2008.

1. popcycleken

popcycleken

I use a lot of encrypted .7z files from the Windows world. Has anyone installed p7zip from Add/Remove programs. I don't particularly care how it looks or performs -- i just don't want it to break anything.

Also, if anyone can name a good, solid, tested (on AAO) alternative program, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Ken

popcycleken, Oct 2, 2008
  2. popcycleken

cpchan

cpchan, Oct 2, 2008
  3. popcycleken

tpcug

OT but

Its might be worth checking out PeaZip
    http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

I used the standalone version which works for me, there is also a .rpm package.

tpcug, Oct 2, 2008
  4. popcycleken

tpcug

Forget peazip, it does not handle encryption at all well on the AA1, Shame as I use it on my other linux and windoze machines where it works fine.

tpcug, Oct 2, 2008
  5. popcycleken

tpcug

Really struggling with this one, dumped the standalone .tar.gz version and used the .rpm package which works a bit better.
    Too be fair, if you only want to extract .7z files the command line is fine but IMHO it is nice to have a GUI archiver which gives easy control over where the files go.
    Thanks to cpchan for pointing out the rpm for 7zip.

tpcug, Oct 2, 2008
  6. popcycleken

cpchan

As long as you have 7zip installed, file-roller, karchiver and ark will work with it.

No problem.

cpchan, Oct 2, 2008
  7. popcycleken

popcycleken

Thanks for the responses so far. It sounds like p7zip doesn't break anything. I will research file-roller, karchiver and ark to if and how I can get them on here. Yes, GUI is a huge help in compressing and expanding, imo.

Thanks again,

Ken

popcycleken, Oct 2, 2008
  8. popcycleken

cpchan

Yes just need one of them, they all basically do the same thing. file-roller is the default de/archiver for Gnome, where as karchiver and ark are KDE programs. You can find them with Pirut.

cpchan, Oct 2, 2008
  9. popcycleken

Arnie-75

I just installed 7zip via pirut, however I cannot start it. I would love to use it the same way as I do in Windows, e.g. by right clicking on a compressed file I get the option tu extract or compress with 7zip. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Arnie-75, Mar 17, 2009
  10. popcycleken

the4ts

Did you ever find a solution to this as I have the same problem :?

the4ts, Jun 29, 2009
  11. popcycleken

popcycleken

Well, yes, I found a good solution, but it is pretty dramatic. Put another distribution on. #/crunchbang has 7-zip under file-roller with encryption that works fine. All you have to do is install the 7-zip libs with the package manager.

For the overall best distro for business, imo, i might suggest Mandriva though 7-zip install was a little tricky and I don't recall the steps. But everything else, including modern versions of all key software, works great with no fuss at all. And TrueCrypt is an easy install and works beautifully, which i think is important on a netbook that is going to be more likely to fall into a stranger's hands than the average PC. Mandriva is the anti-LimpOS -- you never have to worry about updates, adding packages, etc. It just works. It isn't fancy, it isn't beautiful, isn't sexy -- but it is not tempermental either.

FWIW.

Ken

popcycleken, Jul 3, 2009
  12. popcycleken

Arnie-75

Well,
    I have made the opposite experience: Linpus is VERY fast, got ALL I need (despite 7zip, but I can live with that), and is VERY intuitive. What else do I need? I don't know why so many people are looking for something different for their AAO. Maybe because it's kinda fancy to look for something different?

Arnie-75, Jul 3, 2009
  13. popcycleken

popcycleken

No, because unfortunately I actually need to use it.

Ken

popcycleken, Jul 3, 2009
  14. popcycleken

Arnie-75

So does my girlfriend who also own an AAO. She sometimes teaches at University and uses her AAO after I made some little changes to Linpus, e.g. disable automatic user login, update to OpenOffice 3.1. She is absolutely happy with it and uses it for everyday works like email, Powerpoint (Impress), Office.

Arnie-75, Jul 3, 2009
  15. popcycleken

popcycleken

Well anyone else's opinion isn't worth anything compared to yours or your girlfriends. Sorry for offering a comment.

Bye.

popcycleken, Jul 3, 2009
  16. popcycleken

Arnie-75

Sorry for offering my comment. ;)

Arnie-75, Jul 3, 2009
Ask a Question