Anyone running Win 7 RC1 on AAO 10"?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fbx, May 6, 2009.

1. fbx

fbx

I installed Win 7 RC1 yesterday and it's running fine on my stock AA1 (white). I seem to have lost the finger scrolling on the mousepad, which didn't work so well in XP, but now works not at all. Am going to investigate.

Also, has anyone compared typing on the AA1 with typing on the HP equivalent? I would think the latter would be better by far as a result of having broader keycaps (I tried it at a local store, but was a limited trial). Wouldlike to hear any report on same.

Thanks.

fbx, May 6, 2009
  2. fbx

John_D_NH

Yes - and it runs great! Mine is a bit upgraded with 2GB of RAM and a 320GB/7200 RPM drive, so boot times are very acceptable. Also - I added the Synaptics drivers under RC1, and they load and run just fine? Did you do that, and your scrolling issue is still present?

Also - keyboards... I also have an Asus 1000HE and Dell Mini 10 to compare for you, rather than an H-P as your request. but - I have no issues with the smaller keys on the One? Yep, they are smaller and I'm a bit of a touch typist (well, sometimes ;) ) and while the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to - I don't mind them at all..? i think it's just a personal preference thing tho'..

Hope this helps!

John

John_D_NH, May 8, 2009
  3. fbx

AOD150BLACK

I have run the original Windows 7 Beta build 7000, build 7068, and now RC1, and I have had no issues. I even did the installs wirelessly from my desktop's DVD drive. I did have to install the Synaptics drivers, and out of habit I also installed the latest drivers for all devices, but everything worked pretty much as well right after install. I've got it set up as dual boot with the original XP install, to make it easier to transition when finally getting the retail version of Windows 7.

The keyboard takes a couple of days to get used to if you are a touch typist used to a full sized one, but I now can go back and forth between my D150 and my desktop without hardly even noticing it. The space bar gives me the only headache while typing, and I'm a PgUp/PgDn user, so that sometimes throws me off, but that's just me.

AOD150BLACK, May 8, 2009
  4. fbx

fbx

I added the Synaptics drivers and the scrolling is back and as good as ever (though it's not great, and never was on the AA1). Have ordered a 2 G stick to upgrade and may think about a 7200 RPM drive later--present one doesn't seem all that slow, so may not fret about it.

Wish there were a little more real estate for Web browsing. I've taken to using F11 to go full screen, though that's a bit of a nuisance when you want to browse on. Still, it's a very nice netbook. I was impressed with the HP keyboard I saw at Best Buy, but I've not been able to find one at a competitive price.

Have you guys compared to Lenovo S10? I had one six months ago for a bit and found the keyboard good but the screen grainy, and I didn't like the finish on all the plastics.

fbx, May 11, 2009
  5. fbx

John_D_NH

Great news on getting your touchpad working!! I'm playing with the sensitivity - which reminds me of XP (I could never get it right in that OS either ;) )

As well - in Win 7, to pick up a tad more screen size - right click on the taskbar and select Properties - then select "Small Icons". It willl give you an XP size task bar rather than the larger one...

Sorry I can't assist on the Lenovo!! They have good reviews, as I'm sure you've read - BUT, the AAO 10" has got sexy lines and frankly - is a joy compared to the "boxier" look of many of the others. I just wish it had the battery life of my 1000HE...??

Anyway - try the taskbar "small icon" trick and see if that doesn't assist a bit, OK?

Best to you,

John

John_D_NH, May 11, 2009
  6. fbx

fbx

Actually, I auto-hidethe taskbar so it only pops up when I get the cursor down at the bottom of the screen. I think I can live with that.

fbx, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question