Anyone tried Intrepid Ibex yet?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by axcairns, Aug 20, 2008.

1. axcairns

axcairns

Hey all,

I have run up against brick walls with the headphones and sdhc card problems and was wondering whether Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) would be my saviour. Alpha 4 is out now. Has anyone tried installing it?

Cheers,

Allan

axcairns, Aug 20, 2008
  2. axcairns

jbernardo

I have it installed (on a external USB HD). Sound - no chance until alsa is updated, 1.0.16 won't build under kernel 2.6.26. 1.0.17 is out, so maybe the ubuntu developers will update it soon.
    Wireless - also no luck. Installing the madwifi drivers seems to work, and I can scan the network, but NetworkManager won't connect, with a strange error:
    Code:
    NetworkManager: <WARN>  wait_for_connection_expired(): Connection (2) /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/0 failed to activate (timeout): (0) Connection was not provided by any settings service
    Also, there is no longer a pci device with ID 197b:2381, so the card reader doesn' t work at all.

Unfortunately, it looks like intrepid is somewhat of a step back, at least as running ubuntu on the one.

PS: liveusb doesn't work with intrepid live cd, had to use another technique. It just won' t detect any usb key to install to.

jbernardo, Aug 20, 2008
  3. axcairns

glibdud

Way too early in the process to be drawing conclusions like that...

Thanks for posting your experience, though. I hadn't even heard that the Alpha was available for testing.

glibdud, Aug 21, 2008
  4. axcairns

jbernardo

Well, the wifi problem seems to be a bug in kde4 NetworkManager. Maybe that will be fixed soon.

jbernardo, Aug 23, 2008
  5. axcairns

jrs

jrs, Aug 24, 2008
  6. axcairns

qball

I tried starting live cd.. but after boot splash I got a very scary completely white screen that looked like it "burned in"..
    I'll try it later again :D

qball, Aug 24, 2008
  7. axcairns

axcairns

axcairns, Aug 25, 2008
  8. axcairns

prikolchik

When you boot off Live CD press F6 and delete "splash" + press Enter. It should load fine now =).
    Also, if you install it then remove "splash" from boot parameters in boot menu (follow onscreen instructions).

Worked for me. Never a blank screen again...

prikolchik, Aug 25, 2008
  9. axcairns

Ryan

The atheros drivers are included in the kernel, so native wifi.

Ryan, Aug 25, 2008
  10. axcairns

prikolchik

I have Xubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 installed and the Atheros driver included is ath5k_pci which DOES NOT work yet with Atheros 5007EG card. To make Wifi work I've got to blacklist ath5k_pci and then install MadWifi.
    This is only Alpha 4, so it should be solved soon, I hope!

prikolchik, Aug 25, 2008
  11. axcairns

jbernardo

Latest update -wireless is indeed working with the madwifi drivers, and sound works with the 1.0.17 alsa drivers and the option "model=acer" passed to snd-hda-intel. But the internal mic doesn't seem to work, and the headphones don't disconnect the main speakers when plugged in. Choosing the "auto" model option, I don't get any sound on the speakers, haven't tried the headphone.

Also, for the madwifi driver, I had to put the following options in /etc/modprobe.d to get it to use channels 12 and 13 (europe):
    Code:
    options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom=EU
    options ath_pci xchanmode=1 rfkill=1
    The wifi kill switch doesn't seem to work. Sliding it disconnects me from the AP, but it soon reconnects again, and the led flashes for traffic during that time.

I also managed to build a intrepid kernel (without any changes) at last, so now is the time to start adding drivers (card reader, tuxonice, etc.) from linpus.
    Things are improving...

jbernardo, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question