Anyone try Jolicloud?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by robotmaker, Jul 17, 2009.

1. robotmaker

robotmaker

I got an invite for this linux distro. has anyone tried it yet on the AAO?

robotmaker, Jul 17, 2009
  2. robotmaker

cybershrike

I'm going to be trying it out this weekend, looks good from what I've seen

cybershrike, Jul 24, 2009
  3. robotmaker

shobon

I just got my invite today, just installed it a few minutes ago. Everything works out of the box, the interface is orgasmic, and I've had no problems in he few minutes I've used it :lol:

shobon, Jul 24, 2009
  4. robotmaker

wolfman

do the 2 SD readers work, hot swapping and with the formats they are supposed to? I will not install unless they work

wolfman, Jul 31, 2009
  5. robotmaker

Andysan

I've had a go with this and the UI is indeed very slick, but its currently a very limited interface with options for installing a few applications and web 2.0 features. As soon as you want to launch an app you are dumped back into the UNR interface.

Not that i'm being at all critical - everything has to start out somewhere of coures, but for the time being this is essentially UNR with a web 2.0 front-end app, albeit a very impressive and promising one.

Andysan, Aug 2, 2009
  6. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

I'm also interested in checking this out. I have a request for an invite in but am still waiting.

I just did a full backup to try Win7 and am already ready to go back to XP. Since I have the backups, I figured I'd try Jolicloud while I was at it.

I like the idea of this cloud OS thing that seems to be the rage. I just wish my netbook had 3G access too so I was not dependent on Wifi.

alienmeatsack, Aug 19, 2009
  7. robotmaker

Bak3y

I've been running it exclusively since I got my D150, and I love it. The only issue I've run across is making it hibernate when you close the lid. You can manually tell it to hibernate just fine, but trying to get it to hibernate when you close the lid doesn't work at all.

Bak3y, Aug 20, 2009
  8. robotmaker

torchwood

how long did it take you to get your invite? i applied for one but am still waiting. it looks really cool. id love to try it

torchwood, Aug 24, 2009
  9. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

I finally got my invite. And did my install this weekend. And screwed up my existing OS install. (Oops.)

I didn't get too many shots as I was in the middle of some stuff and got sidetracked. But here are 2 of the Apps "install" and upgrade management sections...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Essentially, it's just a slimline Ubuntu distro with a nice "Jolicloud" interface. Most of the "apps" are just browser wrappers via Prism. (Which is basically just a browser app without all the browser extras, mozilla based aka Firefox.)

It does run some actual apps, Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype, that sort of thing.

It will run off the USB boot drive if you want to try it out. I personally recommend you do this before you install, for 2 reasons. Firstly, because you may try it, think "meh" and then not want to install it. Secondly, because it does mess with your existing OSes, and can (like in my case) delete your existing installs completely. The "dualboot" experience is not very defined, and without trying I managed to destroy my OS install. It took me 6 hours of jacking with my Ghost images and trying to get them to install to get XP back on it. (I had Win7 on it, originally.)

It works and runs nicely. Think of it like a more powerful version of the Linpus edition of the AAO, with WINE and many standard online apps already there, good to go. I think if I had Linpus, I'd use it as my primary OS without question. BUt since I have XP, I would probably stick with XP and try it dual booting or off the boot drive until they worked out the issues I had.

I did not try the card readers, but the wifi, camera, etc all worked fine. I'd assume the card readers would too.

If you wander past the Jolicloud "interface", you are back into normal file management land, with the normal windows you'd expect in an Ubuntu or similar install of Linux.
    [​IMG]

For some reason the forum seems to be cutting off the edge of the images on the right. If you open them into a new window, they should be the full monty.

alienmeatsack, Aug 24, 2009
  10. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

For me it took a few days. I think I applied on Tues or Wed of last week and got the invite Friday.

alienmeatsack, Aug 24, 2009
  11. robotmaker

Vkec

I have tried it and I love it. Everything works out of the box, expect the things I don't use which are the SD Card slot and the webcamera. But, I enjoy it and I can't wait till they make the interface more new or different than UNR.

Vkec, Aug 25, 2009
  12. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

I got a 2nd invite to my other email address, so if you applied and haven't got one yet, it should happen soon.

alienmeatsack, Aug 25, 2009
  13. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

Camera works fine for me. Ive tried it in Skype and Cheese (An Apple Photobooth ripoff).

The card readers don't work, but it could be just a driver issue. Maybe if the linux drivers used on the Linpus units are installed they will work, I dunno.

alienmeatsack, Aug 26, 2009
  14. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack, Aug 26, 2009
  15. robotmaker

bodhi.zazen

Took a few days for my request for an invite to go through.

Overall it is a nice respin, it is based on Ubuntu (9.04) but there are some custom kernels, some specific for Atom processors.

The system performs better then most netbooks. The interface is similar to most netbooks, although I find it slower then a traditional gnome.

The only problem I had was installing the GMA500 video driver, had to use a generic kernel form Ubuntu (the jolicloud kernels (2.6.30)) did not work.

Have not had any problems, I would say the system is at least Beta quality in that I did not have any major problems with it.

I have not looked under the hood yet to see what enhancements they did make. I do know they throttled up the cpu clock speed (my cpu normally sits at 800 mHz when idle, with Jolicloud they ramped it up to full speed when idle, not sure if I like that).

bodhi.zazen, Aug 27, 2009
  16. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

Mine sits at 800 when doing nothing, then ramps up when I need it.

alienmeatsack, Aug 27, 2009
  17. robotmaker

bodhi.zazen

I shall have to look "under the hood" to see what they have modified then =)

Still this is the best netbook re-spin I have tried.

bodhi.zazen, Aug 27, 2009
  18. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

I could be wrong, I'm running it on 2 machines and have gotten confused about what is what occasionally. I'm old and my brane is going :D

19. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

I don't have mine with me here today...

But if you run the command:

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    You should get:
    160000 80000

And if you check which governors are used,

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    You should get:
    conversative ondemand usersave powersave performance

And you can check to see which is being used with

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    You can look at the file this is stored at here:

sudo gedit /etc/default/jolicloud-netbook-config

And if you feel so inclined, you can edit it as well. Keep in mind this will affect battery life.

There's a thread on this at GetSatisfaction.com, I think some people are changing it to ondemand to get more power when needed and conserve battery life. I don't know what the default is.

20. robotmaker

alienmeatsack

FYI, the latest updates available today add the option to adjust the CPU speed from the CPU menu in the title bar now. It allows you to pick from the speeds your CPU supports and the profiles you wish.

alienmeatsack, Aug 28, 2009
Ask a Question