Anyone try this?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Eosblue, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Eosblue

Eosblue

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this "hack"? I don't want to screw up my Acer if it doesn't work.

A1CTL /Editor's Choice/: Allows you to set when the fan will turn off, when will it go on slow mode and when will it go fully on. As a bonus it can disable Wi-Fi, LAN and webcam to save battery life. As well as that, it can set the resolution to 1024x768 on Windows XP.

Download: http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

Eosblue, Feb 13, 2009
  2. Eosblue

kapinouwi

kapinouwi, Feb 13, 2009
  3. Eosblue

jackluo923

this "hack" is just some shortcuts which changes fan speed, disable devices, change resolutions...etc. So it won't screw up the AAO if used properly provided that you have a function windows OS. All of the functions in A1CTRL(except for chang speed adjustment) are easily adjustable through windows itself though.

jackluo923, Feb 14, 2009
  4. Eosblue

Eosblue

My main concern is changing the screen resolution from 1024x600 to 1024x768 and the fan control. If the resolution is switched to 1024x768 and it makes the fonts less readable or video running slower, is there a way to go back to 1024x600? Also, can messing with the fan control cause the "One" to overheat and damage the internal boards?

The big question is "Do this program ONLY load and run these new controls when it's active?" If I were to try it, I would want an easy path back to my stock "One".

My understanding is that the "One" only has 8 megs of video ram and that's the reason for the 1024x600. While my main use is for internet browsing, I did install Google Earth and while slow, it did seem to run fairly well if I didn't mind waiting for screen redraws. A couple of days ago, I downloaded Google Earth ver 5 and it runs terrible on the "One" and that's with 1024x600.

Eosblue, Feb 14, 2009
  5. Eosblue

GvidoR

This program requires no installation.
    Will change the fan settings only when the program is running, so that means if you quit the application, the fan will go back to the way it was. You can customize the settings for the fan. The maximum temperature for Intel Atom CPU is 90C so be careful.
    SpeedFan, a well know temperature showing program tells me 10C less than A1CTL.

Changing from 1024x768 to 1024x600 is as easy as changing from 1024x600 to 1024x768 so there is nothing to loose.

GvidoR, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Eosblue

goofball

i'm assuming you haven't used a1ctl yet? it's the same as most windows resolution programs, you choose the resolution from a pop-menu. Program stays in your system tray.
    If you don't want it, then disable it from running either through registry or msconfig. simple as that.
    Fonts don't become less readable, what you end up with is a vertical scroll for the 168 pixels that the screen does not physically have when you change to 1024x768 res.
    Video is allocated dynamically, i'm pretty sure you get more than 8MB if needed.

goofball, Feb 14, 2009
  7. Eosblue

GvidoR

The RAM gives some extra memory to the graphics, so you get 224MB.
    You can either set it to downscale OR set it to scroll 168 pixels down.

GvidoR, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question