AO521 memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mark.rehorst, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

I have been researching memory in the AO521 and found the following:

The 1 GB memory module in my AO521 has a sticker that says
    EBJ10UE8BDS0-DJ-F and this number: PC3-10600S-9-10-B1
    According to Elpida's model number decipherer,

E- Elpida
    B- module
    J- indicates DDR3
    10 - density/rank - in this case, 1 GB, rank 1
    U- unbuffered, Non-ECC
    E - mono density 1 GB
    8 - mono organization: x8
    B - power supply: 1.5V STTL_15
    D - die revision
    S - module outline: 204 pin SO-DIMM
    0 - module rev or thermal sensor info: without thermal sensor
    DJ - speed: PC3-10660 (9-9-9)
    F - lead and halogen free (RoHS compliant)

Note: the Elpida part number says this is a PC3-10660 part but the second number on the same sticker says this is PC3-10600! What does that mean?
    What is the difference between PC3-10600, PC3-10660? None that matters, as far as I can tell.

How much ram will this netbook support? Acer's spec page on this machine says 1 GB is supported. I have seen several user reviews on amazon.com and newegg.com that say they successfully installed a 2 GB module, but no one says exactly which module. 4 GB modules are available- will one of them work?

Acer's web site is useless. AMD's site has no details on the CPU.

Does anyone have any reliable info on the maximum supported memory and the exact specs that will guarantee compatibility?

Thanks!

mark.rehorst, Oct 3, 2010
  2. mark.rehorst

bluevolume

2gb is definitely doable if you get the right memory. I believe this is the correct Crucial memory "CT25664BC1339". I have been looking into this too, as I might buy a 521 (upgrading from my 532h).

The 721 will do 4gb, but that has 2 memory slots. Its very possible that the machines have different memory controllers, and the 521 is only capable of 2gb.

bluevolume, Oct 3, 2010
  3. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

I'm going to order a 2 GB module, staying with the 9-9-9 timing spec, and see where that gets me. I'll post the result here in a few days.

mark.rehorst, Oct 3, 2010
  4. mark.rehorst

torquer350

Just FYI (I posted this in another thread), G.Skill DDR3 modules don't appear to be compatible with the AO721, although that uses the dual core chip so I'm not sure if you'd have problems or not. A Mushkin chip seemed to work fine.

torquer350, Oct 5, 2010
  5. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

Thanks for the info, but it is about as complete as the stuff I see in the customer reviews at amazon.com and newegg.com.
    Which specific Mushkin part number worked and which specific G.Skill part number didn't work?

Unfortuntely I have to RMA my netbook because it stopped responding to the power switch after about two weeks of daily use. Now I have to find out about wiping the HDD before I send the old one back, or better yet, swapping the HDD with the new one before I send the old one back.

mark.rehorst, Oct 5, 2010
  6. mark.rehorst

torquer350

torquer350, Oct 6, 2010
  7. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

OK all you AO521 owners out there looking for some solid information about memory expansion:

I got my dead AO521 replaced with a new one (hopefully this one lasts longer than the first one did!)- thanks for the relatively quick turnaround, newegg! I also installed 2 GB of ram ordered from newegg.com about two weeks ago.

I installed g.skill part number F3-10666CL9S-2GBSQ here's the newegg link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... CL9S-2GBSQ

Yes, I know, the previous poster said it didn't work for him, but he wasn't talking about an AO521. I can assure you, this part number works just fine in my AO521. BIOS and Windows reports 2 GB of ram with 1.75 available. The timing specs are the same as the original part, so naturally, it works. Order without worry!

Cheers!

MR

mark.rehorst, Oct 15, 2010
  8. mark.rehorst

nirvy

I have the AO521 105Dcc (The one with the 1.2Ghz AMD V105 processor). It comes with 1GB DDR3, just tried to stick in a 2GB module (2GB.2Rx8.PC3-8500S-7-10-F2.1066). This new module was recommended on mrmemory.co.uk for the AO521. The BIOS picks it up as 2GB, but when windows starts to load, it doesn't make it much further than the boot loader. Any ideas? It's pretty hard to find any details on the AO521, it's damn near impossible to find anything at all on the 105Dcc model. Tried Acer tech support but the guy told me his internet was down and couldn't answer any of my questions. :(

nirvy, Nov 3, 2010
  9. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

I didn't realize there were AO521s with different CPUs. Mine has the 1.7 GHz K125 CPU.

MR

mark.rehorst, Nov 3, 2010
  10. mark.rehorst

nirvy

Believe me when I say there is a different model. I was pretty gutted to discover I had the 'poo' one :)

As far as I can tell, the 105Dcc with the 1.2Ghz cpu is sold in europe, and the other model is elsewhere. I can't even find a shop in the UK that stocks the models available in the states. Still I'm not too bothered, xbmc (one of the main reasons I got this netbook) as far as I can tell happily runs 1080/720 movies on my hdtv without any problem at all, albeit only after I found and enabled the hardware acceleration option!

Incidentally for anyone else with the 105Dcc model, the memory above does infact work, I just had a faulty batch. Model is 2GB.2Rx8.PC3-8500S-7-10-F2.1066 and you can pick it up from mrmemory.co.uk (listed under AO521, NOT AO521 Windows 7 Starter).

nirvy, Nov 11, 2010
  11. mark.rehorst

gelinas23

Heya, I'm also looking for the correct RAM.

I just discovered that the Acer A0521 is very similar (if not exactly the same) as the Gateway LT22, which I have. It's go the Athlon II Neo K125 processor as a previous poster mentioned.

I haven't figured out what works for me yet, but if any of you are still searching, you might want to see if you can determine what you need by doing some research on the LT22.

gelinas23, Nov 15, 2010
  12. mark.rehorst

bluevolume

I just bought a 2gb stick for my ao721 from Amazon, through J&R. Its a Crucial, model CT25664BC1339.

It works perfectly, no problems. I think the guts of the ao521 are the same so this should be a winner.

bluevolume, Nov 15, 2010
  13. mark.rehorst

gelinas23

[I found a Kingston 2GB RAM that works perfectly in the Gateway LT22.

Kingston 2GB PC3-8500 CL7 204-pin soDIMM

Kingston Part # KVR1066D3S7/2G

The guy who sold it to me confirmed that Gateway is made by Acer, so if the LT22 is indeed the same as the AO521, then this Kingston RAM may well do the trick.

gelinas23, Nov 16, 2010
  14. mark.rehorst

Fr3lncr

For those that are interested, I have a A0521-3740.

I just installed a Corsair Value Select 4GB DDR3 1066MHz CL7 SODIMM, Unbuffered 204pin stick. Model #: CM3X4GSD1066 G.

Cost (if interested) $64 CDN.

Fr3lncr, Nov 17, 2010
  15. mark.rehorst

mark.rehorst

Do the BIOS and the OS report that there is 4 GB there?

Thanks!

mark.rehorst, Nov 18, 2010
  16. mark.rehorst

Fr3lncr

Sorry for the delayed response since I don't visit often. Yes, both the BIOS and OS report 4GB. Mind you, I had to re-install Windows to get the 64-bit version to take advantage of it all (the 4GB showed up in the 32-bit version though), but that's only because I forgot about the limit. Right now, with a minimal of services installed I have about 20% for memory being used whereas I had 50% before with 1GB of RAM.

Pretty sweet. Much better than my Asus EEE PC 1015HAP that I had before. If only the hack on the screen resolution would work than it would be perfect!

Fr3lncr, Nov 29, 2010
  17. mark.rehorst

yuyuik

Hi guys, I've been reading about the different memories that you have been trying, but there are 2 thing you haven't been saying about the memories that I think are very important:

1.- Memory frequency: is important to know if the memory is used at it max, this means, when you install a memory with work frequency of 1066 MHz(which is the max supported for the aoa 521 according to my investigations), you get it working at that frequency, this can be checked with CPU-Z, and has a big influence in demanding tasks, because helps the processor getting more data for processing.

2.- To know if the AMD gpu which uses shared memory, uses this memory frequency too, this can be check it in the catalyst control center, with this you can get a great improvement in your gaming experience.

Well, if someone would like to check this information after they upgrade their RAM memory, I would apreciate it a lot, that's all, I hope this help someone else :D.

yuyuik, Jan 6, 2011
Ask a Question