AO532h FN+F2 Under Windows XP not working

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by zelbinion, Aug 20, 2010.

1. zelbinion

zelbinion

Hi,

I have an AO532h that originally came with Windows 7. I removed this and installed Windows XP instead. I loaded all the drivers from Acer's website, including the Launch Manager program. (version 2.0.1.218 for Windows XP Pro x86). While all the features of the laptop work (wireless, the external monitor connector, etc.) Some of the FN hot keys do not work. In particular:

Doesn't Work:
    FN+F2 does not enable/disable the wireless
    FN+F5 does not switch from internal to external monitors

Works (including on-screen icons)
    FN+F3 reports correctly that there is no bluetooth installed
    FN+F4 puts the laptop to sleep
    FN+F6 turns the screen black
    FN+F7 disables/enables the touchpad
    FN+F8 mutes/un-Mutes
    FN+F11 disables/enables numlock
    FN+F12 disables/enables scroll lock
    FN+up/down arrow changes volume
    FN+left/right changes screen contrast

I've seen references from other topics that you need to have the ePower Management application installed to make FN+F2 work, but this is always in reference to Windows 7. The ePower Management program is not available on Acer's website for Windows XP, and the Windows 7 version refuses to install.

Also, unlike on Windows 7, the Launch Manager application does not put an icon in the system tray. It is running, and I can see the Dritek WMI service (installed by Launch Manager) is running.

There is no hard-wired switch on the AO532h to disable/enable the wireless radio, only the FN softkey.
    The Intel Graphics driver does have hot keys for switching between monitors, but it would be nice if the FN+F5 key worked.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

zelbinion, Aug 20, 2010
  2. zelbinion

bluevolume

You need the ePower management software for XP. Its on the XP backup backup DVDs that you burn using the Acer backup software. Since your netbook never had XP on it, you'll have to either have someone give you a copy or find it on the internet somewhere.

Or, you could just put the back the OS that was intended for your PC.

bluevolume, Aug 20, 2010
  3. zelbinion

zelbinion

Can anyone who bought an AO532h with windows XP confirm that they have a copy of ePower Management on their machine? Acer's website does not list the ePower Management utility for any netbook that comes with XP drivers that I could see. The Windows 7 version on my recovery CD refuses to install.

In a search with google, I wasn't able to find anywhere that had an XP version of ePower Management for the AO532h. I found this link:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/50 ... ws-xp.html
    Which talks about the AO521 rather than the AO532h, but he does not report success with the versions of ePower Management he found on the net.

Anyone know where to get a copy of this thing? Anyone willing to send me a copy of this utility?

Thanks!

zelbinion, Aug 20, 2010
  4. zelbinion

Swarvey Moderator

From what I've read on the subject, the Acer ePowerManagement program is specific to the device hardware. It could almost be classed as a driver. Because of this, you will need the XP version of the software, for your model of AAO. There doesn't seem to be any versions of it available on the internet, so you'll just have to wait until someone on the forums here is able to upload a version of it, or maybe contact Acer via email and ask them for a copy.

Swarvey, Aug 20, 2010
Ask a Question