AO751h Top Tweaking Tips

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gashlycrumb, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gashlycrumb

gashlycrumb

Hello all! First off I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU! I was about to give up on my new AO751h, because even though I loved almost everything about it (form factor, keyboard, screen, etc.) I couldn't tolerate it's complete inability to play video. I searched and searched for a solution until finally I stumbled upon this forum and all the great tweaking tips. Thanks to you my AO751h now plays video perfectly!

I read through a lot of the threads, but I was just wondering if people could put their AO751h Top Tweaking Tips in a single thread. What do I need to do to get optimum performance out of my AO751h?

So far I have: Windows XP, Media Player Classic, Cyberlink h.264 Codec (which was very difficult to find), and Firefox as my browser (with ad blocker plus). Any way to get SD videos to look even better in MPC? Any tips for optimizing audio out of MPC? Should I upgrade to 2GB RAM?

This is my first netbook, so I'm eager to read any tweaking tips at all!

Thanks so much!

gashlycrumb, Aug 15, 2009
  2. gashlycrumb

petergunn

I noticed no difference upgrading to 2Gb of ram under XP, but my RAM usage is usually < 500Mb. It does give you more confidence that you wont hit the limit if you disable the page file like me.

I use setFSB to oc to 1.45Ghz - seems pretty snappy and rock solid. I have a link in my startup folder to set it on boot up.

I'm using the K-Lite codec pack with Media Player 9 and it seems to work great with everything. http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Get WinPatrol - its free and you can easily disable startup programs you don't want. Some programs will reinsert their startup progs everytime you run them so deleting them doesnt work well, but winpatrol can disable them so they wont run even if they are recreated. It also does a bunch of other useful stuff. http://www.winpatrol.com

I recommend ESET NOD32 as an excellent light weight virus scanner that wont bog your system down. If you disable graphical GUI and put it in silent mode you'll never notice it. Every now and then you can pick up a copy for ~$10 with a coupon.

-PG.

petergunn, Aug 15, 2009
  3. gashlycrumb

Bols

My tips, in addition to correct drivers, DXVA h264, and power-saving tips (see other post):

* Most important: Remove antivirus, google desktop, and disable microsoft indexing service
    * Keep number of background-processes to a minimum. Messenger, for instance, is unecessary heavy. No kudos to Microsoft on that one. I use digsby instead, which I believe works better.
    * Install flash-blocker in Firefox or google chrome.
    * Install TwoFingerScroll-application. Once you get used to scrolling with two fingers (mac-style) you never go back.
    * For making SD (low resolution) AVI videos look better, use FFDShow as the codec. Go to the ffdshow enable the "resize&aspect"-tab in the configuration, with settings "resize to screen resolution", Luma method "bicubic", Chroma method "Fast bilinear". and Luma sharpen at appx. 1.00. If you enable too much, the CPU will bog down, and the video will start stuttering..but if you get it right, it will look a LOT sharper. I also have the "Resize if" set to "x<720 and y<480" or something like that, or it will use too much CPU on higher-resolution videos.

Bols, Aug 15, 2009
  4. gashlycrumb

mbarros

Is it possible to get the cyberlink h.264 codec without installing powerdvd?

mbarros, Aug 20, 2009
  5. gashlycrumb

Felix[GER]

Damn, thats a nice one! Thanks alot Bols. It even enables smooth scrolling in google chrome, yeah :D

@mbarros: you can find that .dll somewhere on the internet, but installing the trail version of PowerDVD 8 will do also. In Version 9 the codec is "hidden"

Felix[GER], Aug 20, 2009
  6. gashlycrumb

mbarros

Oh! Thanks, I tried PowerDVD 9... I guess that was the problem, will try to install 8 :)
    By the way, do you remember what dll are needed? I want to install powerdvd in another (test) machine and copy the dll to the acer.

Hugs

mbarros, Aug 21, 2009
  7. gashlycrumb

Felix[GER]

Felix[GER], Aug 21, 2009
  8. gashlycrumb

mbarros

Well I get the filter, install MPHC and try to run a .mkv with these settings http://blogo.biz/?p=20, all I get was a crash in MPHC saying Mpc-hc terminated unexpectdely :-(

mbarros, Aug 21, 2009
  9. gashlycrumb

mbarros

Ok, I got it working, but only get 20 fps in the 720p mkv movie, will try to overclock it...

mbarros, Aug 21, 2009
  10. gashlycrumb

Drjones

Where can we find this app??

Drjones, Aug 30, 2009
  11. gashlycrumb

Bols

Bols, Aug 30, 2009
  12. gashlycrumb

Drjones

Wow, tiny little app, installs instantly & works great!!!
    Does it work fine on XP too?

Drjones, Aug 30, 2009
  13. gashlycrumb

Bols

Like a charm :)

Bols, Aug 31, 2009
Ask a Question