AOA 110 xp doesn't support hibernation?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mikewax, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mikewax

mikewax

Hi folks,
    my problem is when i do control panel, power options, the power options applet has no tab for standby or hibernate modes, no "advanced" option to "enable hibernation" no options anywhere to select or control hibernation.

does anyone know what the problem could be? i'm using XP sp2.

yes i know how to set power options, the question is: why is there no hibernate option present? :cry:

thanx, mike

mikewax, Apr 19, 2011
  2. mikewax

iancameron

This may be rather a late response, but I can't see any other comment so I'll "boldly go".

The first question is what do you get when you click Start>Turn off computer ?

If you see a yellow Standby - a red Turn off - a green Restart, then if you press Shift the Standby button should change to Hibernate, and you click on that whilst still holding the shift key down.

If the Standby button is greyed out, or missing, then you probably have an .exe file in the Windows set up which predates XP by a long time and is said to have originally controlled the onboard sound beeps. I had this install itself onto my previous desktop with a dubious program, and eventually found that I had to rename it from .exe to .old to activate the Standby button. It must be about 5 years ago and I can't remember now what it was, but could dig for it if that is your problem.

Ian Cameron

iancameron, Apr 28, 2011
  3. mikewax

iancameron

A follow-up to the last - it was much easier to find than I had imagined, and it was only 4 years ago ! This is what worked for me then.

NOTE for Windows XP Users:
    You can safely delete the files genport.sys and genport2.sys that appear in your \windows\system, \windows\system32, or \windows\system32\drivers directory (exact location may vary on your machine). These files only involved playing tunes on the PC speaker, which has been superceded by sound systems that appear on every machine now.

Ian Cameron

iancameron, Apr 28, 2011
  4. mikewax

mikewax

thanx for the response, Ian, but it doesn't appear to be the case for me. the STANDBY button is grayed out, i don't know why, but i searched for gen* and got no results. even after a complete re-install of windows there is no standby or hibernate. i installed the Intel chipset driver and still no hibernate.

woe is me, mike

mikewax, Apr 29, 2011
  5. mikewax

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I think your issue stems from whether your Windows installation is set up to be ACPI compliant.

Can you do the following for me?

To determine whether the computer is using ACPI features, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    In the Device Manager window, expand Computer.
    If the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC option is displayed, your computer is using ACPI features.
    If the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC option is not displayed, your computer does not support ACPI features.

If the ACPI is not there then you will need to go into your BIOS and look for a reference to either ACPI or APM and turn it on.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, May 3, 2011
  6. mikewax

mikewax

OK.... yes, it does have ACPI.

mikewax, May 4, 2011
  7. mikewax

mikewax

Hallelujah, i found out that it was a problem with the video driver. i DLed and installed the model specific video driver and presto, the power options applet now has the Hibernation tab and it's working fine.
    thanx to those who replied
    mike

mikewax, May 7, 2011
  8. mikewax

elPaulio Moderator

Hi Mike,

Yay, glad you got it sorted.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, May 14, 2011
Ask a Question