AOA 150 - Harddisk 1.8" or 2.5". i'm a bit confused

Discussion in 'Storage' started by froggerman, Apr 9, 2011.

1. froggerman

froggerman

Hello Everybody,

I have an Aspire one (AOA150) ZG5 model (HDD model / not SSD). Unfortunately i have dropped my laptop while it was signing off windows.
    Since then there is mayor harddisk failure. So i'll need to change the harddisk.
    But i'm a bit confused. Is the harddisk in the AOA150 a 1.8" or a 2.5" drive? I know it is a SATA drive.

What do i need to order at my spare part supplier?

I'm thinking of buying this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136391

Is this the right one for my AOA 150 or do i need a 1.8" model?

thanks in advance,

best regards,

Froggerman.

froggerman, Apr 9, 2011
  2. froggerman

matts1

You will be fine with a 2.5"..

matts1, Apr 10, 2011
  3. froggerman

clanduncan

2.5" fine on mine

Replaced my original 2.5" 120Gb HDD with a 2.5" 128Gb Samsung 830 SSD. It was slightly thinner but no problems at all. It now boots/runs slightly faster, with the Win7_Experience HDD score up from 4.1 to 5.9. I would say though that although it runs faster, there is no significant saving in battery life. I still get from 5-6 hours average use on the big battery, same as before.

In fact in the past I've achieved similar speed increases on normal 3.5"HDD systems simply by upping dramatically the HDD storage size (from 80->200Gb, or 400->1000Gb). With the theory (borne out in practise) that by upsizing your hard drive, you are effectively compressing your existing system into a smaller physical space, thereby reducing the seek times of the heads moving to get data. Hence faster system!

Until SSD prices come down significantly though I'll not be moving on up to anything bigger than Ialready have. It's less than 25% full anyway ;).

clanduncan, Jul 11, 2012
  4. froggerman

Jaroc

For a general information to everybody, a 1.8" hard drive will require for his power supply a voltage of 3.3v, a 2.5" hard drive will require 5v. So they aren't interchangeable. I know that from my IBM X40.

Jaroc, Jul 27, 2012
Ask a Question