AOA150 Overclocking help needed

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Kimixii, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Kimixii

Kimixii

I will say that here I am stumped, Im pretty good at overclocking, but I have to ask how members on here are getting up and over the 2.0 Ghz barrier. I did the R124 to R122 resistor mod to unlock overclocking, in more detail: I took R124 off with an exacto knife, as i could not unsolder it, and then i did a pencil line on R122. I did not have to modify any PLL registers in SetFSB as my registers seemed different than those posted. I simply bumped the FSB up and it took effect. Well, that is, up to 1.830 Ghz. That is my limit.

I cant tell you the FSB at the moment as Im not on my One, but I did take the RAM out and ran on the on-board 512 MB as what others did to get to 2.0 ghz, and it did NOT work, at all. The RAM I use is a 1 GB stick of Kingston 667, good stuff. So if its not the RAM, and everything else is stock, how are others getting to 2.0 Ghz??

As long as R122 has SOMETHING on it, it will overclock. So that rules R122 out, as far as Im concerned. I destroyed the resistor off R124 with my exacto so the pencil mod is fine.

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Going from 1.6 Ghz to 1.830 Ghz is a GREAT difference in gaming, but getting to 2.0 would be better =] My PLL is the ICS9LPRS365. I know that in the guide, they modified those PLL registers, but for me, it would not apply when i hit apply, as far as i can tell. Then again, he wasnt using my PLL in the example. I also have heatsinks in the fan chamber, so my temps are pretty respectable. Idles low, I know my max temps are around 80ish degrees celsius at 1.83 Ghz, after playing World of Warcraft for a few hours. No stability issues to speak of. However if i go just one click farter in setFSB, I get a white screen and have to hold the power button.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Richard

Kimixii, Oct 7, 2009
  2. Kimixii

mali

Set your AAO to battery saving mode(this will lock the multiplier to 6x). If you can set a higher FSB then, the CPU is the culprit(you could try overvolting). If you can't it's the RAM and there is nothing you can do about it.

mali, Oct 7, 2009
  3. Kimixii

Kimixii

Ah ok, yeah I will try overvolting. The only problem is is that I forgot the link that had the name of the program that can overvolt. Do you know of a program that can do that? Im going to go just a little bit, as now that sounds like a great idea. Its a 15% overclock exactly, i know on the pentium 4 line, you had a 10 percent overclock limit. But i guess that doesnt hold true anymore!

Kimixii, Oct 8, 2009
  4. Kimixii

mali

Did you lock the CPU to 6x and try overclocking further? You have to do this first to find what's preventing your AAO from higher overclocking. If it's the RAM overvolting won't help.

mali, Oct 8, 2009
  5. Kimixii

Kimixii

Ah ok, last night i got crystalcpuid to do all this. If you have an AAO, can you go on CPUZ and tell me what your core VID is? Because i changed the voltage on crystalcpuid, and tried to overclock further, which did NOT work. And i dont think it reverted on reboot.

I only tried a 11x multiplier last night, and it crashed, and so i crashed out too =] i will try 6x when im done with the work i gotta do this morning, i dont feel like having it crash and redo all ive been working on =]

in the meantime, could you get cpuz and tell me what it says your core VID is? mine jumps between .900 and 1.88 right now.

Kimixii, Oct 8, 2009
  6. Kimixii

mali

You don't need CrystalCPUID. Disconnect AC power and set the power scheme to battery saving. It will lock the multiplier at 6x. You won't be able to overvolt with software. You would have do do a MOD to the core voltage regulator. I can't tell you the voltage because my AAO is disassembled right now(I needed the RAM module for my 1810t).

mali, Oct 8, 2009
  7. Kimixii

Kimixii

I cant remember the menu i went to in CrystalCPUID, but when i changed the voltage in there, and then went back to cpuz, the voltage WAS changing. I also put the multiplier to 6x in crystalcpuid, doublechecked that it wasnt changing in cpuz [stress tested it, and it stayed at 6x] and then rose my FSB up to the highest it normally goes. [I cant tell you the actual number, its like 152.something, but i know the number above the left/right arrows in setfsb is 248, thats the max OC] if i go one more tick over to the number 249 and apply, even at 6x Multiplier, it crashed.

I took the Kingston RAM out too and just ran the 512mb on board RAM, and it doesnt go any higher. So i just dont know what else is left!

Kimixii, Oct 8, 2009
  8. Kimixii

mali

With CPUID or RMC you can change voltage, but only supported values. So you could use 12x voltage at a lower multiplier but you can't go above the highest supported voltage. You have identified the onboard memory as the culprit so you will have to live with it.

mali, Oct 9, 2009
  9. Kimixii

Kimixii

Ok, that does sound like a conclusion, but that would mean that acer used different on board memory between models? I mean if others bottlenecks were the upgrade ram being worse than the onboard RAM, but my onboard RAM is worse than the upgrade RAM, then i guess im just SOL?

Kimixii, Oct 9, 2009
  10. Kimixii

darkmenx

so basicly its enough to remove R124 and solder/pencil mod R122 ?

darkmenx, Oct 10, 2009
  11. Kimixii

Kimixii

Yep, R124 was so small no matter how far a grinded my tip down i was gonna mess up that resistor anyway, so i just cut it right off the board, then drew a pencil line on R122. I guess ill just stick with 1.830 ghz, got pretty modest gains in games, although im still looking for a WORKING program that OCs setFSB on startup.

Kimixii, Oct 10, 2009
  12. Kimixii

darkmenx

whats the difference between pencil mod, solder and a resoldered resistor from R124?
    im not a real expert as you can see but i have got good enough tools to make the mod.

darkmenx, Oct 10, 2009
  13. Kimixii

Kimixii

As long as you get TME disabled, I guess it doesnt matter how you do it. Noone ive read has confirmed just putting a little blob of solder there would work, but im sure it would. Penciling it in is just the easiest.

Kimixii, Oct 11, 2009
  14. Kimixii

radu14m

will this work for AOD250 model ?

or there is another hackig mod ? softfsb ?

some pictures will be great !

10x.

radu14m, Nov 22, 2009
  15. Kimixii

radu14m

any news related to this ?

radu14m, Dec 4, 2009
  16. Kimixii

AnmolDubey

Hi Guys,

I have seen that many of you have already overclocked the zg5 processor. And it was not easy but it works.
    And so i've done it myself. I've unsolder the R124 resister & draw a pencil line on R122 resister. And The results are - I overclock it to 1800MHz, my pc hang and i have tried it many times but no luck. So, can anyone help me, please. i am to exicted to see the results.

Thanks,
    AD

My PC Specs,
    AAO 150 ZG5
    Atom N270
    1GB Hynix RAM
    120GB HDD

AnmolDubey, Sep 20, 2011
Ask a Question