AOA150X: The Best 9 Cell Battery Thread

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by info, Dec 16, 2008.

1. info

info

I've been looking through the battery threads and I've come to understand a bit about the batteries. Still, it remains an elusive subject matter for me. Can the forum members who have an unbiased opinion and have used the batteries help me decide:

1. What is a highly reliable, proven source for a 9 cell battery for the AOA150X (Model ZG5)?
    2. What is better the 7200mAh or the 7800mAh?
    3. How much should we be paying for one of these?
    4. Are they safe for our AAOs?
    5. Is there XP software that can extend the life of these batteries even more?

Any input most appreciated. :D

info, Dec 16, 2008
  2. info

DiSK

I'm looking for battery info as well. I don't have a battery besides the stock 3-cell, but I've read/seen a lot. However, first things first.

This is not the best 9-cell thread. It is almost the worst.

Anyway, that aside...
    1. AspireOnes all use the same battery (I assume you already know..) and user101's 7800mAh battery seems to be quite good.
    2. Uhh...Does this need to be answered? 7800 > 7200, and since they're both 9 cells, why wouldn't you get the 7800mAh?
    3. Right now, only a couple sellers. Seem to be around $70 USD.
    4. That's a risk you should be willing to take. If you asked Acer, they would most likely say no, since they are not sold by themselves. I've never heard of a battery blowing up someone's AAO yet though.
    5. Besides undervolting your CPU (Don't think it's possible yet), turning off the fan, turning off Wi-Fi, I doubt there's any software that can "extend" battery life. Unless you're running your OS off of an SD card/USB drive, and the HDD isn't running. A battery is a battery. You cannot extend it beyond whatever juice it has.

DiSK, Dec 18, 2008
  3. info

info

LOL! I am afraid you may very well be right about that one. It didn't come out quite the way I had hoped, and now I forgot whether I was talking about the battery or the thread. ;)

Thanks for your comments. Things are becoming a bit clearer, but I'm still pretty far from actually placing the order (which I almost did on impulse yesterday). The word is out that if one is not careful, one can end up with a counterfeit battery that can overheat and damage hardware, or even worse: catch fire, explode, and result in blindness (google the Canon advisory on their camera battery experience). I've purchased batteries carelessly before and been lucky, I guess. Now I am more aware that I will have no clue as to whether the battery is counterfeit, so I have come to the mind boggling conclusion that I will have to rely soley on the reputation of the seller and possibly the brand name.

Those Xtreme batteries are a candidate but, I'm not sure if they have had enough time to get the kinks out of their manufacturing process yet, which is what I believe justme81 qualitativly implies (although he seems pleased enough). Then again, what do you expect for the price? As long as it doesn't hurt the machine or burst into flames you're ahead. Particularly if you can squeeze two, or two and one half hours out of them over a 6 cell for what, a year? Depends on use of course. I'm beginning to get the general picture and would like to get to know a little more.

Then I saw this ugoogle outfit on eBay in a post somewhere. Scroll down and you will see a lot of happy campers there. I wrote them and the seller answered back right away, they seemed on top of things. I'm going to keep looking around, as time permits, and will post back.

Please let me know if you hit the motherload...

info, Dec 18, 2008
  4. info

fbx

fbx, Dec 18, 2008
  5. info

info

Thanks for the input. Bill's customers seem satisfied and it's on the less expensive end.

info, Dec 18, 2008
  6. info

clc4912

I purchased a battery on Ebay from Ugooole and I received it from Hong Kong in 4 days from the date I purchased it. I have been using the battery for about two weeks and so far I am very hapy with it. Depending on what I am doing, I can usually get between 6 1/2 and 7 hours out of a charge.

clc4912, Dec 18, 2008
  7. info

info

Thanks. Is the Ugoogle battery similar to the Xtreme battery with the rounded bottom, or is it the "double rounded" bottom type?

info, Dec 19, 2008
  8. info

clc4912

It is identical to the xtreme battery design.

clc4912, Dec 19, 2008
  9. info

info

Good.

info, Dec 19, 2008
  10. info

fbx

Received it today (12/19/08) so it took 10 days from eBay purchase to arrival. I put it in my AAO and it showed as 56% charged, and it's been running since 5:15 pm (two hours) and now shows 21% and 1.16 hrs remaining.

When it runs all the way down I will recharge and time a full charge.

Looks good (matches my white AAO) but is large. Does tilt the machine and thus the keyboard to a comfortable typing angle as others have mentioned.

Cheers--

fbx, Dec 20, 2008
  11. info

info

Thanks for the report fbx and please keep us informed of anything, good or bad.

info, Dec 20, 2008
  12. info

gheek

Just received mine from this seller and so far I am very satisfied. The package arrived in Finland within less than a week from Hongkong and was very well packaged. The battery was pre-charged at 70% and after loading it overnight it indicates a running time between 5 and 10 hrs (changing rapidly, obviously based on the method how the Linux battery meter calculates these estimates).

@fbx, how have your experiences been after a few weeks of use?

I will post here if any problems occur, but so far everything seems just as promised and finally I can use the AA1 for productive work on the go. Personally, I like the shape and the elevation of the keyboard - also I did not experience the slightly limited tilting angle to be an issue.

gheek, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question