AOD250 cannoot boot with BCM70015?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by smartkid, Sep 9, 2010.

1. smartkid

smartkid

hi guys, first time posting here. My d250 is unable to boot whenever the bcm70015 is in the pcie slot, it will display the boot screen, but it just will not boot the hdd, unless i remove the bcm70015. However, i can insert the card into the slot after it has started booting the hdd, and the card works fine in windows, the netbook boots fine with other cards in the pcie slot, such as the intel turbo memory module and 4965agn wifi card. Thus is the problem with the netbook or the decoder itself? The netbook is using the latest bios.

smartkid, Sep 9, 2010
  2. smartkid

Swarvey Moderator

Does this effect your machine 100% of the time? or is it intermitten?

Reason I ask is because in my D250 I keep a 2Gb card (microSD in an adapter) in the card slot full time. And intermittenly does the same (or at least very similar) thing you're reporting. It'll freeze before initialising the HDD at all. But if I take out the SD card it will boot, even if I put the card straight back in the slot.

I was using the second most recent BIOS but updated to the latest a few weeks ago and the problem persists. Since the card works fine in Windows, I was beginning to think it's a BIOS bug.

Swarvey, Sep 9, 2010
  3. smartkid

smartkid

it''s occurring all the time, the netbook simply will not initialize the hdd with the decoder in the slot. After the acer boot logo, the screen will just display a flashing dash until i remove the decoder. I am suspecting it's a bios bug too, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next bios update. Having to remove the decoder ever time i restart is really a pain in the a**.

smartkid, Sep 10, 2010
  4. smartkid

bluevolume

I ran the BCM970012 board in my AOD250 for months with zero problems. The 12 and the 15 are quite different architecturally though, so its possible that the problem you are seeing is a real bug. I can't think of any reason why the BIOS would be pausing because it found the crystal hd board though, maybe it thinks its a network device and its waiting to boot from it? This is a strange one.

bluevolume, Sep 10, 2010
  5. smartkid

smartkid

i tried disabling the network boot option in the bios, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I also notice that the decoder gets extremely hot during the boot, does that mean something?

smartkid, Sep 10, 2010
  6. smartkid

bluevolume

That board is only supposed to draw 1 watt when it is actually decoding video. So for it to get "extremely hot" during the boot process seems wrong.

Starting to sound like defective hardware.

bluevolume, Sep 10, 2010
  7. smartkid

smartkid

the decoder's temperature is at 43.4C when it's idle in windows, measured with my oral thermometer in my room(can't find a more professional one) with the air conditioner set @ 23C. I bought it from Logic Supply and i do not live in the States, so to send it back I have to pay for both way shipping. I am gonna install this card into my laptop and see what happens.

smartkid, Sep 10, 2010
Ask a Question