AOne and Audacity Monitor

Discussion in 'Windows' started by PaulDB, Nov 28, 2008.

1. PaulDB

PaulDB

I recently acquired an Aspire One with WinXP. I installed Audacity because I wish to transfer audio from a cassette tape to CD. The cassette player's audio out was plugged into the AOne's mic input with a suitable attenuator in between so as not to overdrive the mic input. The audio was recorded nicely. When played back with Audacity, the speakers reproduced the audio as well as would be expected.

The problem: When recording the sound, I expected to hear, through the speakers, the audio being recorded, but the speakers were silent. Hearing the sound while being recorded is a great help in knowing where you are on the tape so that other activities can be performed while the recording session transpires. How do I get the sound to emit from the speakers when recording takes place? I have done this same operation on two other computers and they put out sound during recording. I have played around with audio volume controls, and with Realtek settings, but nothing works. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

PaulDB, Nov 28, 2008
  2. PaulDB

Technomancer07

The cheapest method may be to use a "Y" splitter (used to listen with two sets of headphones). Connect side to the tape player and one side to an external speaker. You can find very small and very cheap speaker sets almost anywhere now.
    Another possible advantage (other than cheap) is splitting the power between the two ports halves the power to each. You may not need the attenuator for the mic.

Technomancer07, Dec 3, 2008
  3. PaulDB

PaulDB

Thanks Techno... Yes that would work, and may be a good way to go, but I still think that the built in speakers should be doing the job for me.

If anyone else has some idea as to how to get the on-board speakers to work, please speak up.

PaulDB, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question