AOne - No Help and Preconfigured?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Raido, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Raido

Raido

Hi all, new here.

I bought an A110L Linux-based AOne today, mainly for my parents to use a simple laptop from time to time.

It seems to work fine, but there are a few issues:

1) I should be asked after the first start to choose a language and date etc, but the machine didn't ask that at all :shock: (and the salesman got this one still sealed from the stash); default was just English and passwords seem to be filled in, too.
    Now I'm not sure how to change the language 'after the fact' (for us, it should be Dutch if at all possible)!

I did enable the extra 'advanced' Desktop Menu, btw.

2) When I clicked on 'Help' in the main screen, the PDF reader just gave an error and gave up. It seems the Help doc wasn't there. Can I reinstall/reload it?

3) Given that there's no Help and the manual seems very sparse, what are the main keyboard shortcuts for Shutdown/Restart in default Linpus? And is there one for an instant Force Kill -9? Could come in handy from time to time...

I seem to be missing a lot of tech details that aren't in the manual... but maybe Acer just doesn't mention 'em at all? :roll:

Regards, Rudy

Raido, Jul 19, 2008
  2. Raido

jeromlenz

0) First install all updates available from > Settings > Live Update - 'Update' button.

1) You should be able to switch to Dutch language with this procedure,
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102#p906
    (Though I could not find 'Dutch' in the list of 'system-config-language' on my US aspire one?!)

And you need to know the admin password so...
    a) you can reset the password like this
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=174#p1140

b) it's maybe easier ('cleaner') to use the restore DVD to create a bootable USB-stick (2gb advised) and completely reset the small buddy!?
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=124&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

2) Works for me. Maybe b) would help.
    You can probably download the guide from Acer and put it back here where is my help file,
    /home/user/Documents/AspireOne/Aspire_ONE_UserManual_EN.pdf

3) blue key Fn+F4 goes to sleep mode.
    (Needs to be set if not in > Settings > Power Center > General Settings)
    Power button turns off Linspire (push it and just wait for 10 seconds).
    Or you can click on the red button, lower-right part of desktop screen.

Force Kill -9 : as in Windows, Ctrl-Alt-Delete > "Processes" tab > End Process
    ("That was Easy!")

Goede dag! Tot'ziens :D

jeromlenz, Jul 19, 2008
  3. Raido

Raido

Hi,

viewttopic.php?f=5&t=102#p906

That only gives a 404 I'm afraid..

Found the Help file, but it seems this is just the Acer manual in pdf form (i.e., no useful tech info just newbie setup information).

"3) blue key Fn+F4 goes to sleep mode.
    Power button turns off Linspire (push it and just wait for 10 seconds).
    Or you can click on the red button, lower-right part of desktop screen.
    Force Kill -9 : as in Windows, Ctrl-Alt-Delete > "Processes" tab > End Process
    ("That was Easy!")"

Um yeah, bit too easy ;) I figured these out by myself (I'm not a noob, fortunately ;) But what I'm looking for is a bit more advanced.
    Pressing the power button to shut down seems like a REAL no-no on any Unix (I'm an OS X user, mostly, but have used Linux before). So a hotkey combo to the aforementioned red button ('Shutdown/Restart etc') would be handy. Ditto for a direct Force Quit combo.

On OS X, I get both by hitting Ctrl-<Eject> and Command-Alt-Esc. What I'd like to know are the Linux/Linpus equivalents. :cool:

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 19, 2008
  4. Raido

jeromlenz

Hehe yeah just kiding!
    If you know kill -9 the rest is just my 50cents...

1) 2nd try!?...
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102#p906

I'm struggling to put back US keyboard at startup instead of UK, any hint?
    (End of page 2 and 3 of this same discussion thread.)
    Thx. c'you

jeromlenz, Jul 19, 2008
  5. Raido

Duke

I'm sorry to be the one telling you this but I think you got yourself a used computer. The "seal" can be reused over and over again.

Duke, Jul 19, 2008
  6. Raido

kakue

Hello,

i have the same problem. Furthermore, the install or recoverz dvd or cd is missing.
    I got mine from amazon in Germany.

That seems to be kind of weird to me!

kakue, Jul 29, 2008
  7. Raido

Guest Guest

I have the same problem. got my Aone today and i had no possibilty to configure it on first boot.
    Bought it at Alternate (big german online store). There was also no recovery disk in the package.

Guest, Jul 30, 2008
  8. Raido

Raido

Mine had the exact same thing - didn't show the config screens either. It was just default English (which for me isn't a problem, fortunately). Mine did come with a carrying 'sleeve' and recovery dvd, btw.

Oh, and I don't think it was a pre-used machine, btw. Some AOnes just seem to have left the factory preset to (mostly?) English.

Raido, Jul 31, 2008
Ask a Question