Apire One 250 with windows 7 is suddenly slow

Discussion in 'Windows' started by maineak1970, Mar 2, 2010.

1. maineak1970

maineak1970

When I got this laptop it ran fast. I upgraded the memory to 2gb. Recently is has become really slow. It takes at least 30 seconds to switch between screens or even to move the slider bar to view the rest of a web page. It is like the computer loads the page and then goes to sleep until you touch a key. I found an article that said it might be that my harddrive may be running in PIO Mode instead of Ultra DMA Mode 5. Could this be an issue? I am also getting an error saying that my harddrive may fail. The computer is only 3 weeks old so it shouldn't be that.

Thanks.

Here is his post on the issue. I'm not sure if it matters.

My hard drive was running in PIO Mode. This a) eats up CPU speed because PIO mode needs CPU overhead, and b) makes accessing any read/writes slower too. You can check if this is your problem by going to Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc -> IDE ATA/ATAPI -> Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings. If it says Current Transfer Mode: PIO (or anything less than Ultra DMA Mode 5) then you might be experiencing the same problem.

maineak1970, Mar 2, 2010
Ask a Question