application freezing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ageish, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ageish

ageish

Hi, I'm a linux noobie with a new aspire 110 8gb ssd, 512 ram.

The first thing I did was run live update....

& had the problem of network manager refusing to start like several other people....

I found this....

Then I run " sudo gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking " to clear all the root network connections.
    Then I run " gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking " to clear all the user network connections.
    After doing this, I don't have ANY connection I have been connected previously (be aware).
    Finally I reboot and then the network icon appears again but you need to reconfigure the network again (as I said before, I removed all connections).

which worked in that as long as I reboot immediately after 1st boot I get the network icon & all is well.

Anyway, I love this little machine & I have to say I like Linux so far even if the use of the TERMINAL is a bit daunting!

I do have one small problem though.... sometimes an application like firefox freezes & I have no idea how to shut it down without
    shutting the whole machine down.
    With my XP laptop I'm obviously very used to this sort of thing happening & I just Ctrl, Alt, Delete then kill the offending process.

Is there a simple way to do a similar operation in Linux please?

I apologise if this is a stupid question or has been answered a million times before.

thanks

:ugeek:

ageish, Mar 26, 2009
  2. ageish

ageish

Ah
    just discovered that Ctrl,Alt,Delete does the same as in XP.

Doh!

However, when I get the freezing Ctrl,Alt,Delete doesn't seem to work.
    Has anyone else found this prob?

ageish, Mar 27, 2009
Ask a Question