Applications

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bennnneb, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bennnneb

bennnneb

Is there a list somewhere of what is available to install on linpus and what they actually do?

bennnneb, Jan 11, 2009
  2. bennnneb

Huw

Such a list would be enormous. It would be more worthwhile finding an application you want, then searching for it in the repositories. If you have enabled the advanced xfce menu, right-click on the desktop and select system -> add/remove software. You can probably browse applications from there also.

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  3. bennnneb

bennnneb

is there a list then with a top 50 applications and what they do.
    i've only ever had windows so linux is new to me.
    so far i've installed vlc (brilliant), deluge (v.impressed), wine (haven't got a clue how to use it tho),gimp and some extra games. what applications can people recommend and what do they do?

bennnneb, Jan 11, 2009
  4. bennnneb

bennnneb

and amsn, opera and firefox 3 whicl all work really well. what must have other applications can people suggest?

bennnneb, Jan 11, 2009
  5. bennnneb

markh

The add/remove lets you browse by categories, which is handy.

Not sure what apps to suggest - the list of what people might want is enormous. Amarok is a nice music player, but I've seen about half a dozen others suggested. Transmission is a simple bittorrent program. F-spot is a nice photo manager.

I've replaced the email program with Thunderbird, but that's not linux-specific.

http://linuxappfinder.com/ could be worth a browse, but obviously the apps on there aren't guaranteed to be available for easy addition to linpus.

markh, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question