Aspire One 10.1 will not shutdown

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by timsam, May 9, 2009.

1. timsam

timsam

Had anyone encountered with their Aspire One D150 series not shutting down ? The netbook was purchased in mid April of this year running Windows XP. It is connected to Internet via a WiFi secure network at home. It had happened twice now that the computer would not shutdown. After 20 minutes of waiting, I pushed the power button but the computer still would not shutdown. At the end, I just let the computer ran down the power. Re-charged it tomorrow and the netbook seemed to be running fine again. Anyone has any suggestion other than a drop test ? Thanks in advance.

timsam, May 9, 2009
  2. timsam

AOD150BLACK

It's probably nothing to do with your Acer, but rather a common problem with XP. Do a quick google search on XP takes long time to shut down, and you'll see it's a common issue. The usual suspect here is some application/service hanging, and XP trying to allow it to end so as to prevent any data loss.

To investigate, when it does this again, press cntrl-alt-delete all at the same time to bring up the task manager.

--First , look at the applications tab and see if it lists any programs running. If it does, this is probably the issue, and you'll have to investigate that program to see what's happening. You can try to "End Task", and it may take several trys if it's hanging.

--If there are no programs listed in the applications tab, check the processes tab. If any service lists a high number under the CPU collumn, it may be the issue, and you'll have to investigate that service to see what's happening. The System Idle Process should have a high number, but only it should.

When your system does hang like this during shutdown, you should be able to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. It may take up to 30 seconds to do a forced shutdown this way, but it should eventually work.

There is a bat file method for quick shutdowns for XP http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/31309.htm, but be aware that you could lose data from any apps that are running when you do a forced shutdown!

AOD150BLACK, May 9, 2009
  3. timsam

timsam

Thanks so much for this very detailed suggestion. I will see what I can find out when the problem re-occurs again. Thanks again.

timsam, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question