aspire one 8.9" zg5 NIGHTMARE help plz

Discussion in 'Storage' started by ian h, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ian h

ian h

i recently purchased a zg5 8.9" netbook with the 512mb onboard ram and ssd memory anyways i installed xp on it as i do not hav a clu with linux which it came with and things just went soooooo sloooooooow anyways i noticed a article online saying u can add 1gb ddr2(which i now know is false u can only add 512mb totalling 1gb) anyway after i tried the 1gb i just got plain blak screen illuminated but blak so i took the ram out and then put the netbook back together WITHOUT any ram as all i hav is 1gb chips so i just left it and was simply gunna install windows 2000 with it being small shud speed it up no end anyways after i put it bak together i booted it up and then i get===
    PXE-E61: media test failure, chek cable
    PXE-M0F: exiting pxe rom
    no bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key
    i hav checked the bios and again no hdd is recognised and is set to boot from hdd 0 first and so on and so on so anyways i hav retaken it apart 50 times cheking and recheking and recheking again and still the same so if any1 can plz help..note i am not a noobie but on the otherhand plz dont confuddle my fragile mind with dot dot dash code bannanaramma plz thanx for your help.

ian h, Mar 31, 2010
  2. ian h

ian h

UPDATE---
    i sent acer a eail and got this in responce
    To solve your issue, please follow the instructions given below:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.
    Regarding your enquiry,

This is a hardware issue on the computer. As the machine is Out of Warranty, if you want the machine to be repaired, you have to pay for the courier charges and then the repair charges.

There will be a £54.00 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair. You will then be given courier details so that you may arrange collection of your machine for shipment to our repair centre. Once received in the repair centre it will undergo assessment by one of our technicians. They will draw up a written proposal for you containing full details pertaining to your repair. This will be sent to you by post giving you ten days to respond.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the £54.00 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired. After ten days, if your proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected, your machine is not repaired, and shipped back to you. We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician.

ian h, Apr 1, 2010
  3. ian h

Swarvey Moderator

If I was you I'd be trying a replacement hard drive.

With my original AAO A150 I did initially have the same problem with the RAM. Black screen after installing it. I subsequently swapped the stick with a smaller one and it worked, so figured what the hell and put the larger stick back in. For some reason it worked. So don't shy away from your extra RAM just yet.

You may find that a BIOS upgrade could potentially resolve both issues.

Swarvey, Apr 4, 2010
Ask a Question