Aspire One as home webserver (LAMP)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by zgstyle, Nov 13, 2008.

1. zgstyle

zgstyle

I have AAO with 120Gb HDD and it must be possible to install LAMP on it for sure.
    So the question is has anybody used AAO for home web server?
    If yes, then for how long and how stable it is?
    Or is it just a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance!

zgstyle, Nov 13, 2008
  2. zgstyle

RockDoctor

Assuming you're using Linpus Lite, installation should just work, at least if you use the Fedora 8 repository. I've got a LA_P stack (no mysql) within a Fedora install on my AA1 and it runs just fine. However, I don't keep it turned on 24/7.

RockDoctor, Nov 14, 2008
  3. zgstyle

esaym

esaym, Nov 15, 2008
  4. zgstyle

clc4912

I became intrigued with Windows Home Server and am still running it. It is based on Server 2003 and is friendly to non technical people. I run it on a seperate headless machine and it allows many great features. The minimum specs for the machine are quite low. I will not bore you with the details, but if you like, check out the specs and features. It is designed for system builders rather than DIY'ers but you can get an OEM copy of the software. The only problem with getting an OEM copy is you do not get the support so this option may not be for the faint of heart. It is very straight forward however. This has become my webserver, file server, and allows me remote access from wherever I am to remote into my home machine and access files on the server. Well enough rambling. Check it out if you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows ... 314&sr=8-1

clc4912, Nov 15, 2008
  5. zgstyle

DonQuichote

My One runs The Abyss (web server), MySQL, SQLite, off course Linux (Xubuntu), and PHP5. I mainly use it to develop my website while I'm in the train. It is not always on like a server.

A few tips: If you install MySQL on Ubuntu, the cluster services are started by default. This is silly on a netbook. Disable them and boot faster.

I set up tmpfs mounts for /var/log/mysql and for the webserver log. I have the MySQL querylog ON by default (it is a development machine). This is done to reduce wear on the Solid State Disk.

DonQuichote, Nov 15, 2008
  6. zgstyle

dattaway

Built in UPS. Simpler hardware means fewer points of failure.

dattaway, Nov 15, 2008
  7. zgstyle

KelpieSlave

On my WIndows machine I have Uniform Server (www.uniformserver.com), a WAMP package which doesn't actually "install" per se in terms of registry entries etc.

It runs all components as executables when needed, and unloads cleanly when you're finished, which means you can copy the whole server folder, plus site content to a USB stick and run it on any machine (WIndows).

I use it for writing PHP/MySQL bits of various websites before uploading to live sites.

I've looked around but I can't seem to find anything similar for Linux.

I'd love to find something similar for the Aspire One. Has anyone seen anything along these lines???

Cheers

KelpieSlave, Nov 17, 2008
  8. zgstyle

rbil

Apparently it includes Apache, MySQL, etc. So why not just install LAMP on your Linpus system? There's no registry in Linpus. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 17, 2008
  9. zgstyle

KelpieSlave

I couldn't find one that seemed to work the same way!!

That is until I tried another search here and found the reference to Bitnami. I've downloaded the LAMP stack and will install in the next day or so.

Cheers

KelpieSlave, Nov 18, 2008
  10. zgstyle

zgstyle

I did clean Debian Lenny install with my own partitioning scheme. There is quite good wiki especially for Aspire One.
    I'm checking memory consumption, temperature and fan noise from time to time - haven't noticed any issues so far.
    At this moment it's uptime is 8 days. :)

zgstyle, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question