Aspire One Icon in Finder

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by 2manydjs, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

I have recently upgraded my AAO to Leopard and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately my MacBook thinks it's a Mac Pro and shows the icon accordingly in my shares list. It's a small detail, but I don't like it. The same icon was shown in OSX86Tools and assumed I could change it with this app (Modify about this Mac/ Change image). I had created a new icon (see attachment), but unfortunately this option in OSX86Tools is unrelated.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change this icon? If not to my customized one, at least to a new MacBook as it has a black bezel.

Thanks!
    [attachment=0:3g1zbc4l]icon.zip[/attachment:3g1zbc4l]

EDIT
    I think the icon is chosen on the client side based on the Model Name of the server, in my case Mac Pro.. Anyone know how to change the model name?
    UPDATE
    Instructions are posted below.

2manydjs, Feb 20, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

Shoesy

Re: Aspire One Icon - how to show as share?

Hi there

Check out this post from insanely mac on how to replace the icon- I know its not exactly what you want but it should do the same job(ish)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 74&st=640#

Any chance someone can write a tutorial showing how to achieve this with the icon from the previous post?

p.s. Post has bonus information on how to set up remote superdrive disc access ala macbook air - cool!
    p.p.s. nice work on the icon man - thanks for that

Shoesy, Feb 21, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Re: Aspire One Icon - how to show as share?

Thanks for the link!
    The following will change the Mac Pro icon of your AAO on the client side and as a consequence all Mac Pro's will show as an AAO.. All instructions are to be followed on your other macs running Leopard, not on the Acer.
    1. Download the icon.zip as attached above. Unzip the file manually if needed.
    2. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.
    Code:
    mv ~/Downloads/icon/Acer\ Icon.icns ~/Downloads/icon/com.apple.AAO.icns

sudo cp ~/Downloads/icon/com.apple.AAO.icns /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

sudo cp com.apple.macpro.icns com.apple.macpro.icns.bak

sudo cp com.apple.AAO.icns com.apple.macpro.icns
    3. Reboot

[attachment=0:mqxly7tz]screenshot.png[/attachment:mqxly7tz]

2manydjs, Feb 21, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

Shoesy

Hey thanks for the code all works nice now - no more boxy macpro icons on my network!

Shoesy, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question