Aspire One not connecting to non-broadcast SSID

Discussion in 'Networking' started by m00nraker, Jan 3, 2009.

1. m00nraker

m00nraker

So i just bought my new netbook a few days ago, and i love it...aside from a minor problem i am having.

I have my home wireless set to not broadcast the SSID ( just my preference), and it works fine with every other laptop I have used. My Aspire will not recognize the network. I have manually entered it in the connections list, and it will not show up. As soon as I turn ON the SSID Broadcasting, all is well. The wireless itsself works fine, here at work it connects with no problem, and I can see all the neighbors networks at my house.

Is there any known fix for this? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? I have not yet updated my BIOS. I have done a Windows Update which listed a driver for the Wireless, I installed that but it did not help.

I'm beginning to be severly disappointed in the performance of this. I refuse to broadcast my SSID just because ONE computer wont cooperate! I am thinking about returning it to Best Buy for an exchange, perhaps I just got a dud?

EDIT: I should also add, I am running Windows XP SP3

m00nraker, Jan 3, 2009
  2. m00nraker

lklaus

Hi,

this must be a software problem with the windows drivers. I also have non broadcasting SSID, and it worked flawlessly after I added the network manually running Linpus and Ubuntu-eee (Easy Peasy, as it is now known). Sorry, I know this is not very much helpful to you, but it's at least not a hardware fault.

Klaus

lklaus, Jan 3, 2009
  3. m00nraker

johnfron

Go to the properties of your Wireless Network Connection. Click on the Wireless Network Tab and then select your wireless network from the Preferred Network list. Click on Properties. Make sure the Connect even if the network is not broadcasting check box. Click OK to save your changes.

johnfron, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question