Aspire One Pricing for 6-cell 1GB XP model

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

Pricing seems to be screwy:

Linpus Linux, 3-cell battery, 512MB RAM, 8 GB SSD: 299€ (~$450)
    Windows XP Home, 6-cell battery, 1GB RAM, 120GB hard drive, 399€ (~$600) +$150
    (Japan, Australian pricing seems comparable)

Linpus Linux, 3-cell battery, 512MB RAM, 8GB SSD: $379 CAD
    Windows XP Home, 6-cell battery, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD: $429 CAD +$50

While the base model is on par when you factor in VAT, the upgrade to the HDD, XP license, larger battery and extra memory costs three times more in Europe. In North America if you want Linux getting the XP version is a no brainer for the larger battery alone which retails for $129 CAD!

It seems to me that the European pricing is in line with expectations. Battery + memory + XP license ~~$150, not $50...

I wonder if the N. American pricing is sustainable? At any rate Acer seems to be setting up a big grey market for imports.

rjm, Jul 30, 2008
  2. rjm

IslandBookworm

I wonder about that too. We seem to be getting a bargain over here. I was telling someone about the Aspire One today and suggested that they buy sooner rather than later in case the price goes up after the initial launch.

IslandBookworm, Jul 31, 2008
  3. rjm

Davidcowling

are all xp models getting the hench battery then???

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  4. rjm

rjm

I'm not sure what a hench battery is but no, the XP model comes with the 3 cell battery in a lot of markets, just not the same ones as I quoted above, so I left it out.

rjm, Jul 31, 2008
  5. rjm

ck90211

I got mine A1 xp for $US 500 in Taiwan (tradeshow discount). I think ACER is selling so cheap because it wants to catch up to ASUS eee, but they won't have to once people realize how convenient and power thrift this thing is over the traditional laptops. Moreover ACER is probably learning from Wii, and wants to use low prices to build up demand/momentum. I don't necessarily think ACER will raise prices, but due to scarcity you probably won't be getting one unless you preorder.

ck90211, Aug 1, 2008
  6. rjm

Davidcowling

hench = big

Davidcowling, Aug 6, 2008
  7. rjm

rjm

A lot of discussion on the kakaku.com forum in Japan complaining about the high cost vs. the US model. "Maybe I should get it shipped from America" is the running thread.

Actually though it isn't worth it:

The XP 1GB 3-cell model is $399 and 54,800 yen in the two countries. Take $399 and convert it to yen, 45,000 ... add shipping 4500, tax (5%) 2200 and you are up to about 52,000. The Japanese price includes tax and free shipping, and you get 10% in store credit usually, so nominal price is 50,000.

What's more interesting is to look at the 901 vs One price dynamic. The 901 has fallen to with $25 effective of the One here. For that $25 you get bluetooth, multitouch, a more compact form factor, a lot of flash storage, 20GB free online storage, and perhaps most compelling: a stonkin' great battery. And its available now. Its looks pretty good for the 901, looks and terrible keyboard notwistanding.

A lot of the good publicity for the One initially was "wow its so much cheaper than the 901!". Remove that cost differential and you start thinking that maybe Acer should sweeten the deal somehow.

rjm, Aug 9, 2008
Ask a Question