Aspire One with Boot 132 (RETAIL DVD INSTALL)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by seraph1024, Oct 24, 2008.

1. seraph1024

the_case

I used the generic disc image included in your files.zip

On boot, it seems to freeze on the first dot when loading the initrd.img. Anyone else having this problem?

I have the 3305 bios installed.

UPDATE: it worked - guess I just had a bad burn

the_case, Oct 31, 2008
  2. seraph1024

vl2006

Worked for me I got leopard installed and working just need to update and install pauls kexts.

vl2006, Oct 31, 2008
  3. seraph1024

Bleego

So far so good, I have had to do a bunch of extra stuff to get this working in a MBR / Dual Boot kind of way. But that also requires a small bit of messing with the install image, and ( since I don't have any actual dual layer DVD's ) a lot of fracking around with different boot devices.

But a Mix with Seraph's guide and this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 25739&st=0 and a lot if improvization to work with what I do and do not have and when I get a chance to finish it, I will have boot 132 with Dual boot on the AAO. Yay!

Bleego, Oct 31, 2008
  4. seraph1024

vl2006

Im trying to get it working with dual boot with Ubuntu and im having a hard time trying to figure out it whenever I boot to Mac threw grub it just stays on the loading screen with the apple and it stays there forever. :cry:

vl2006, Oct 31, 2008
  5. seraph1024

linguinee

Thank you seraph1024 for your efforts -- very much appreciated. This newb has a problem and a question regarding your Leopard install.

The problem: The Leopard installer finishes, the Restart prompt displays, and the restart begins but the process ends at a dark screen -- the AspireOne never makes it to the startup screen (after two attempts of the whole process); just ends in a dark screen. I have to power down, then power up again in order to access the boot order menu (and select Boot 132). This is not how the procedure is described in the tutorial. Could it be a symptom of a problem?

Now the point which thing chokes. After rebooting into OS X, I can't get past the dialogue which prompts the user to choose between transferring account between another Mac, Time Machine Bup, etc. I select "I don't want to transfer anything at this time", the beach ball spins for a while, then the setup assistant keeps looping back to the prompt about selecting keyboard layout (U.S., French, etc) -- I'm stumped! Anyone have any ideas?

And the question: Is it necessary that the HD reformat section of the tutorial be confined to one partition? If I ever get Leopard up and running I'm anticipating restoring a back up of my XP install onto a second partition; having the HD configured accordingly will simplify this.

linguinee, Nov 1, 2008
  6. seraph1024

Bleego

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&p=600294 is the method I used to get past the setup assistant loop.

After a LOT of messing around I have a semi useable setup, but I updated to 10.5.5 and it tweaked a few things I will need to undo in a bit. Hopefully I can get things working but at this point, especially for dual booting, it does not appear to be worth it.

Bleego, Nov 1, 2008
  7. seraph1024

seraph1024

I see 2 issues here. Number 1 is the black screen after reboot. At this stage, you are supposed to use the boot 132 disc and boot from it. The reason why you are getting a black screen is because you don't have chameleon installed yet. Put the boot disc in, press 80, use cpus=1 and continue and install chameleon. (when you boot in for the first time to install chameleon, make sure you have a USB keyboard/mouse).

Number 2 is the partition issue. I have never done retail 132 and windows on 2nd partition. Not with xp. The reason is GUID partition and EFI. As far as I know you maybe able to install osx and vista using this method. Use bootcamp to partition once OSX is installed. But I hate vista with a passion. I may have done it once on my eeePC. I just can't remember the process.

Good luck. Let me know if these instructions are helpful.

seraph1024, Nov 1, 2008
  8. seraph1024

seraph1024

Boot with -v and see what kind of error you are getting. Once we have an error code, we can all chime in and see what's going on.

seraph1024, Nov 1, 2008
  9. seraph1024

Jaik

I'm following this guide using a USB stick for Boot 132 and a USB hard drive with a copy of my Leopard Install DVD as I don't have a USB optical drive. All going well so far after a bit of fiddling to figure out Boot 132 as it gives slightly different options when booting from a USB stick it would seem.

Update: Just downloading software updates now :)
    Update: Installing the software updates
    Update: Had some weirdness when restarting. Shut down and booted up again and it's fine. All additional kexts installed and everything seems to be working.

Jaik, Nov 1, 2008
  10. seraph1024

dj_dumpling

Thank you Seraph1024 for the wonder tutorial. I have installed everything successfully and have updated to 10.5.5. The only problem that I'm having is getting my battery meter to detect my battery. They battery icon is there, but there is an "X" on it, which means that "no battery detected." Does anyone else have this problem or can shed some light on a resolution?

dj_dumpling, Nov 1, 2008
  11. seraph1024

Jaik

Likewise! Mine was working when I installed the kexts, but as soon as I rebooted I'm getting the same thing.

Jaik, Nov 1, 2008
  12. seraph1024

seraph1024

I have the same issue. I will look to see if there are any power management kexts that I can use to change it. I know it detects it if you go to the about this mac and power management section from there. I'll keep you all updated. Let me know if anyone else has this fixed first.

seraph1024, Nov 1, 2008
  13. seraph1024

brgroup

I had this problem a few times..

Make sure that you have some kind of network hooked up..Your OsX retail probably won't find your ethernet card without the Realtek drivers which can't be loaded unitl you can boot to leopard. UNLESS you manually copy the kexts over using terminal during install. Difficult..Maybe another user can show instructions on how to get this working.. BTW- the Realtek RTL1000 drivers from Pauls Wind Kexts were crap for me..I had to use these: Chien Hao's RTL8168B drivers ftp://202.65.194.212/cn/nic/RTGMac_v2.0.0.zip

But, did you get and install a new wireless miniPCI card? Dell 1390 1490 etc? It will be recognized in Leopard automatically and move you past that point if you have wireless connection to connect to. This worked brilliantly on my last install

The third choice would be if you luckily had a Time Machine backup somewhere on a usb drive lying around..I actually did and it got me past this point on two different installs.

~ As for the Power management issue..Look for SticMac's kext-pack - It has a great PowerManagement.bundle that works perfectly on my AAO..Remember it's not a kext, and installs differently in the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ Folder

brgroup, Nov 1, 2008
  14. seraph1024

Jaik

Okay, I've got the power management working nicely with this kext.

Jaik, Nov 1, 2008
  15. seraph1024

the_case

haedphone detection not working with new sound drivers?

I'm using the "better" sound drivers from this post:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=250#p35571

On my previous iAtkos installation, the audio setting would automatically switch output to the headphones on I plugged some in... switched back to internal speakers when unplugged. Now that doesn't seem to be working with the same drivers on my 10.5.5 install.

Does the auto sensing work with the drivers in seraph provided files package? Or has anyone gotten the auto sensing to work?

UPDATE: works fine now. Not sure what I didn't do the first time. I removed ALCInject, reinstalled the two kexts and repaired permissions. All good now. Happy happy!

the_case, Nov 1, 2008
  16. seraph1024

dj_dumpling

Jaik, How did you install the power management? thanks

dj_dumpling, Nov 1, 2008
  17. seraph1024

Jaik

At the bottom of the first post in the link I provided there's a kext for download. Just use the KextHelper program that is used in the Boot 132 guide to install it and reboot :)

Jaik, Nov 1, 2008
  18. seraph1024

the_case

Ignore all the talk in the linked page about the original PowerManagement.bundle - you already have it. You just need to install the latest kext from the bottom of that first post.

the_case, Nov 1, 2008
  19. seraph1024

dj_dumpling

Huzzzzahhh, It Works!!!!! Thanks everyone!.....it calculates that I have 6 hrs of battery life!!!! Yayy for 6 cell!!!

dj_dumpling, Nov 2, 2008
  20. seraph1024

seraph1024

I'll update my zip file with the updated kexts. Awesome.

seraph1024, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question