Aspire One with Boot 132 (RETAIL DVD INSTALL)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by seraph1024, Oct 24, 2008.

1. seraph1024

dj_dumpling

Also, the AppleHDA.kext from SticMAC works!! I have internal Mic now...Sweeeeeeeeeet...Only thing left now to fix is the built in card reader....My macbook pro feels so jealous right now :D

dj_dumpling, Nov 2, 2008
  2. seraph1024

trentreznor321

I just bought an AAO with XP and want to install OS X but I need sleep to work. Does sleep work with the boot-132 method?

trentreznor321, Nov 2, 2008
  3. seraph1024

seraph1024

Can you email me the kext or post it here so that I can put it in the final zip?

seraph1024, Nov 2, 2008
  4. seraph1024

dj_dumpling

I'm having trouble emailing you the kext so here is the file pack http://www.mediafire.com/?vmwyyzdmh3y ....inside the file pack, you should find the AppleHDA.kext....peace

dj_dumpling, Nov 2, 2008
  5. seraph1024

straff2002

installed but trackpad stopped working after installing the wind kexts, tried reinstalling kexts from kext folder but no joy, any ideas?

straff2002, Nov 2, 2008
  6. seraph1024

linguinee

Success! Thank you seraph and brgroup, Leopard (10.5.0) is up and running.

Restoring my network and home directory from a Time Machine Bup (a la brgroup's advice) circumvented the setup assistant's endless looping, and, as you suspected Seraph, installing Chameleon has rectified my boot problems. The most obvious shortcoming, no Wifi (a Dell 1390 is on the way), was entirely expected, and though I haven't made an extensive audit everything else seems to function.

Prior attempts at updating to 10.5.x via combo .dmg downloads loaded onto USB drives resulted in Leopard bleeding electrons -- hangs and aberrations -- when loading and required a reinstall of version of 10.5.0. I've lost my zeal for updating for the time being; better to get everthing running and configured accordingly first.

I'll add this for other newbs like me on the board - it should save some time if they want to experiment with installing XP side by side with Leopard. Installing XP from the OS X side with Bootcamp is a no go for me; BC chokes, something about ROM upgrade...

Having used Disk Utility for years in a minimal capacity I'm still embarrassed I've just learned about this feature. You can partition a boot volume without a complete reformat (and accompanying loss of data) -- still a noob after all! Initially my HD was set up as per Seraph's tutorial with one partition. But DU has the option of adding (or subtracting) a partition. (Select a single partition in DU and use the '+' or '-' buttons to the lower left of the partition list display; format the new partition as 'extended to create it then reformat it FAT and you'll have a space to play with an XP install).

***WARNING: immediately following this procedure the Acer suffered a BIOS meltdown; not sure if it was the cause though; I had to resort to macles' BIOS recovery to resuscitate the A1 [ http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html ]*****

Thanks again guys, and keep posting results...

linguinee, Nov 2, 2008
  7. seraph1024

jjesster

Newbie Q: All is now working, however my system stops upon bootup at the BOOT: prompt. I just hit enter and it continues. How do I get it to just start up without me having to hit enter?

jjesster, Nov 2, 2008
  8. seraph1024

Jazzle

So basically, when I've followed your guide (thanks by the way!), I can just update without ever having to mess around with new kexts etc?

Jazzle, Nov 2, 2008
  9. seraph1024

the_case

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Code:
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>0</string>

I actually made mine "3", to give me a little bit of time in case I wanted to hit F8 to add some more flags.

the_case, Nov 2, 2008
  10. seraph1024

the_case

Sometimes you'll have to re-install the kexts - after I updated to 10.5.5, I had to reinstall the graphics kexts to get the full resolution again...

I left all the kexts in a directory in my Documents folder, with the Kexts Helper app, just in case I'll need to install them again after future updates.

the_case, Nov 2, 2008
  11. seraph1024

Jazzle

OKay, I can perfectly live with that, but it's just, I thought boot-132 could be used to load driver kexts too?

Jazzle, Nov 2, 2008
  12. seraph1024

Drillbit

So, what does/doesn't work with this method? I'm thinking about taking the plunge.

Drillbit, Nov 2, 2008
  13. seraph1024

the_case

So far, everything works but:

Sleep
    SD slots
    external mic jack

am I missing something?

the_case, Nov 2, 2008
  14. seraph1024

Drillbit

Just so I'm getting it right; it's the same as the mod installs only the updates are easier?

Drillbit, Nov 2, 2008
  15. seraph1024

seraph1024

Pretty much. Because it uses the retail DVD to install, you can get updates directly from apple without breaking the install.

seraph1024, Nov 2, 2008
  16. seraph1024

jjesster

Thanks for the help. I found that if I set it to '0' it did the same thing and paused until I hit enter. I set it to 1, and it moves right along past it. Thanks again.

jjesster, Nov 3, 2008
  17. seraph1024

jjesster

Regarding Sleep -

Is there a solution to putting the One to sleep? It is currently ~locking up~ when it goes to sleep.

Thanks again everyone for the great community!

jjesster, Nov 3, 2008
  18. seraph1024

rory

could you not have just searched? this is the nost asked question in the foorum.

rory, Nov 3, 2008
  19. seraph1024

jjesster

Rory - Thanks for the ~response. I did check the 'foorum' and found folks suggesting solutions, but no joy yet. I thought I would ask it on this specific thread since this was the build I'm using and folks are generally helpful here. I am hoping that someone will respond with their experience. But, thank you for your response anyway to the 'nost' asked question.

jjesster, Nov 3, 2008
  20. seraph1024

rory

thats ok. To clarify, I should have done that instead of just flaming, there is no solution as of yet. It will be difficult to get a solution too, as it needs proper hacking not just drivers. I think that people have said graphics drivers are at fault for it. but i have no idea myself.
    Rory

rory, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question