Aspire One won't boot, can't get it to recover

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vc-10, Jul 19, 2009.

1. vc-10

vc-10

My mum bought a pink Aspire One 110, it was the 'deal of the day' a few weeks ago on ebay. It worked great for a while, and we had no problems with it. However, yesterday it decided not to play ball and it won't start up. When it starts up (it shows the bios screen) but goes to a blue screen (not Windows style!) with the Aspire One text logo at the bottom right, with the caps lock light flashing. I've not installed any new software, the only thing we've done is set up the email, and that worked fine.

When I try to make a restore USB drive (using a USB external HDD) on my laptop the screen comes up with the options (install Linux, make USB recovery drive, boot from HDD) and when I select make a recovery drive, there's a black screen with the Aspire One text logo, but the bar underneath doesn't do anything. I've not got a USB flashdisk larger than 1GB, unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm getting a bit frustrated.
    Thanks,
    Felix

vc-10, Jul 19, 2009
  2. vc-10

DutchDK

You need an USB flashdisk that is minimum 2 GB, to create an USB recovery drive. If you attempt to use a 1 GB, you will experience the non-moving bar.

DutchDK, Jul 19, 2009
  3. vc-10

vc-10

This was with a 60GB external HDD. I haven't tried with a flashdrive, as I've not got one big enough. Does anyone know what may have caused the issue?

vc-10, Jul 20, 2009
Ask a Question