aspire one zg5 touchpad problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by seanycozzie24v, Jun 21, 2011.

1. seanycozzie24v

seanycozzie24v

hi there new to the forum.
    i have a problem with my aspire one zg5. a little while ago my touchpad stopped working. remover the cover and cleaned all the contacts and so on and it started working again! horray. but just yesterday it quit altogether. tried the fn+f7 nothing worked. it did start working again but then quit again. another thing as well. my left clicker button stopped working as well. the right one works fine. is it the touchpad,ribbon cable or even worse the motherboard. btw i am running windows 7 ultimate.

seanycozzie24v, Jun 21, 2011
  2. seanycozzie24v

tutti

Like this person reported, my touchpad stopped working abruptly 6/21/11.
    I tried the F7 but that did not do anything.
    I had posted the issue to a Google help site & there apparently is a fix for this -- for $38.
    I would be interested in the answer to this too.
    Acer Aspire One Windows 7

Thank you!

tutti, Jun 22, 2011
  3. seanycozzie24v

uzi

My touchpad has also stopped working :(
    I was trying to replace the assumed to be dead atheros wlan card (the one I received from ebay is also not working) - maybe mainbord error? device is not listed under lspci (ubuntu)
    Back to the topic, I wanted to test the netbook without assemling the keyboard and touchpad back, so I've inserted an usb mouse first. After I put the netbook together, the touchpad is not working anymore (tried aligning the cable, fn+f7). Even the touchpad buttons are dead, but as I see they are not connected via the ribbon cable, the switches are soldiered to the mainboard...
    Could it be a driver issue (liveusb was also not working)?
    In case it is a broken cable, shouldn't the touchpad buttons work?

uzi, Aug 3, 2011
  4. seanycozzie24v

nestone

I have this same net book except with Windows 7 Home. I too had a total touch pad failure that finally gave me the courage to open it up. At the time the net book had Windows XP as the operating system. First, the right side click button didn't work. Then, the touch pad itself failed to work at all. I had a 1 gig stick of ram that I wanted to install so I was either going to have an improved net book with 1.5 gigs of ram and a working touch pad or a paper weight. In disassembling the net book following instructions from an on line video and photographs, I found that the ribbon connector from the touch pad was kinked near the motherboard connector. I've since read on this site and others that this was a common problem from the manufacturer. I fitted in the new Ram and trimmed slightly and reconnected the ribbon cable to the motherboard upon reassembly. After replacing the final screws and reattaching the battery, I powered up as I held my breath, I was more than pleased to find the touch pad and and both right & left buttons worked flawlessly and the net book immediately recognized the increase in ram. Later I upgraded to Windows 7 Home and the little net book is still humming after all this time. So, in summary, I bet your ribbon connector is not seated properly to the motherboard.

nestone, Aug 4, 2011
Ask a Question