Assign the Function [Fn] Key to a USB keyboard

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Lemon87, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Lemon87

Lemon87

I have an Acer Aspire One AO532-H.

I mostly use a USB keyboard (with netbook lid closed, external LCD, etc). After browsing the internet and attempting various key re-assignment software, I was still unable to assign the [Fn]-key to my USB keyboard. I contacted the support centre. After a puzzled pause they told me they would call me back. No luck to date.

My favourite HotKey software, AutoHotKey, explains that I need an "SC"-value, eg SC159 (last three digits are hexadecimals), which is usually acquirable using simple key-capture software. However, when pressing the [Fn]-key, no value is captured. This is because the keyboard's driver or hardware handles it at a level too low to capture. A solution might be to (i) delete the driver or (ii) run it on a fresh copy of Windows. I would like to try and avoid those options, but am considering installing a copy of WinXP on a USB-HDD just to test if it works.

Can anybody help? Please?
    If the demand is there, I will update this post if I get a solution elsewhere.

Lemon87, Jun 6, 2011
  2. Lemon87

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I seem to recall reading about a similar problem someone was having, can't remember if it was on this board or another unfortunately.

My recolection and understanding is that the Fn key on the Acers is recognized in the keyboard hardware itself and as such Windows never sees a value for the keypress on Fn it just sees the value for whatever Fn+X is pressed.
    As such the Fn key cannot be reassigned or have a value assigned to it.

The only way I could think to use Fn on a USB keyboard would be to have specific software which will recognize the USB keybards key press and launch the required item itself. Not sure if this is available for things like volume up/down etc but I think due to the Acers way of handling the native Fn key there is no way to replicate this on an external keyboard.

Please do feel free to correct me if you find a solution as I'm sure there are a number of people who would find this useful.

Cheers

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Jun 7, 2011
Ask a Question