At CDC, a Debate Behind Recommendations on Cellphone Risk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published new guidelines 18 months ago regarding the radiation risk from cellphones, it used unusually bold language on the topic for the US health agency: "We recommend caution in cellphone use."

The agency's website previously had said that any risks "likely are comparable to other lifestyle choices we make every day."

Within weeks, though, the CDC reversed course. It no longer recommended caution, and deleted a passage specifically addressing potential risks for children.

Mainstream scientific consensus holds that there is little to no evidence that cellphone signals raise the risk of brain cancer or other health problems; rather, behaviors like texting while driving are seen as the real health concerns. Nevertheless, more than 500 pages of internal records obtained by The New York Times, along with interviews with former agency officials, reveal a debate and some disagreement among scientists and health agencies about what guidance to give as the use of mobile devices skyrockets.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/at-cdc-a-debate-behind-recommendations-on-cellphone-risk-784881

Sefie, Jan 3, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

I am aware of this warning before, especially for those that glue their ears to the phone all the time! I have seen people who at 6:30 AM, driving, with the phone rested on their shoulder, head crooked to one side and yapped away for a long time. Same thing at the supermarkets, and it seemed like the phone is actually being used non-stop!

Personally, I hate being on the phone and got pretty tired of holding it, so I usually just use the speaker on the phone. I am now worrying more about the use of earphones seeing many kids having them in their ears all the time.

IcyBC, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Yeah, I know what you mean. My fiance sleeps with his next to his bed. Actually the last time I was at the doctor's office I couldn't help but notice most people there were no longer trying to start a small talk, no! They all were glued to their mobiles D: So no more social interaction face to face bit seems.

Sefie, Jan 6, 2016
Ask a Question