Atheros wireless issues?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jpgirl, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jpgirl

jpgirl

This morning I went to check email and the internet was SUPER SLOW.
    After fiddling around with a few things, and other computers in the house I narrowed the problem down to my AAO.

I did a search of the board and I have found a few others with a similar problem to mine but didn't really find a solution.

The wireless shows connected and active, packets are moving in both directions although they do seem to stall out slightly at times. Connected at 54.0Mbps, not problems connecting, it finds all the wireless networks just fine.
    But timing out in firefox and IE, will half load a page and then not find it at all on a refresh a few seconds later.
    Pinging the gateway will result in one hit and 3 timeouts then 2 seconds later 2 hits and 2 timeouts, then another try will result in all timeouts. When it does get a response it is in the range of 2-6ms so the connection is good when it is there for the split seconds it works but when it goes down it still shows it is connected in the tray........

I re-started, did a cold reboot, same thing.
    Connects fine, but does almost nothing.
    I installed a Dell wlan usb stick and the stupid atheros started working fine.

I am running XP sp3 and the driver version is 7.6.1.149

Anybody else having this problem too?

jpgirl, Jan 30, 2009
  2. jpgirl

PhotoJim

Try hard resetting your wireless access point. Sometimes that helps.

If that doesn't work, short of getting a new access point, you could try locking your WiFi at 11 Mbps (802.11b speeds). It's still faster than most broadband connections but might be far more reliable.

PhotoJim, Jan 30, 2009
  3. jpgirl

jpgirl

Sorry Jim this has nothing to do with the access point.
    It was working fine with other connections and there are known issues with this wlan controller which I learned after investigating more after this post.

I have upgraded the bios from 3109 to 3309 and upgraded the wlan drivers from 7.6.1.149 to 7.6.1.184

I have had this AAO for about a month or so. I bought it used put a fresh install of xp on it and the wireless worked flawlessly until this morning.

So we'll have to see if the updates solve anything..............

jpgirl, Jan 30, 2009
  4. jpgirl

Growler

Have you turned off any/all power-management features of the interface?

Right-click on your Wireless Network Connection, and select "Properties"; near the top, next to "Connect Using" is the "Configure" button -- click that, and on the "Advanced" tab, there will a "Power Save Mode": set that to OFF.

Growler, Jan 31, 2009
  5. jpgirl

jpgirl

Yeah, I have done that. It just amazes me that this stupid thing worked flawlessly until now.
    It worked great last night, and now again this morning it is almost useless.
    I have already ordered an Intel 5100 N card to replace it and it'll go in as soon as my touchscreen gets here along with some more ram :)
    Might as well do it all while the case is open....................

jpgirl, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question