Attempting to use the Recovery DVD, and failing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by VorJack, Oct 26, 2009.

1. VorJack

VorJack

I'm at a loss. I'm using an AA1 with Linpus, and it's fairly new and unmodified.

I was removing some software I had installed(with the add/remove function), and I think I accidently removed something like the "Thai language support". Fair enough, I don't speak any Thai. But in the process of removing the package, there were a number of errors. The thing crashed.

When I restarted, I found myself facing a black screen. The mouse pointer was now an "X", and nothing seems to happen no matter what I do.

So, time to break out that handy recovery disk I downloaded (Macles_Linux1021e.iso). Of course, the AA1 doesn't have a DVD drive, so I need it on a flash drive. It can create it's own flash drive, but you have to boot from the DVD.

Now I find that my desktop computer (a old Dell running XP) will not boot from the DVD I just burned. Alright, so I can't use the DVD to create a flash drive. Someone suggests using Unetbootin, which I helpfully download and use to make a bootable USB drive. I get a few more option, but no love. I get an "Acer Aspire One" screen with a blue bar that never moves. Then, for some reason, my "caps lock" light starts flashing. Alright, it's close to Halloween, maybe my AA1 is haunted?

I'm completely flustered now. Is there any way to use the recovery DVD without being able to boot from it?

VorJack, Oct 26, 2009
  2. VorJack

Cosafina

I found I couldn't create a Recovery USB from the Recovery DVD supplied on either my home nor my work PCs. So I took a stick and the DVD into the shop where I bought the Aspire One and they let me use one of their Acer machines to create the Recovery USB.
    Since the Aspire One has no CD drive, you'd think Acer would have at least made the Recovery DVD something that you could simply copy from it onto a stick instead of having to CREATE a Recovery USB, but as far as I can tell at the moment Acer don't give a damn about their users.

Cosafina, Nov 23, 2009
  3. VorJack

newbymick

What are you doing to boot from the DVD.

At start up press F12
    Select your cd drive.
    Hit enter

Sorry if this sound like a bit of egg sucking - just trying to help as no one else has bothered to make a comment

MS

newbymick, Nov 23, 2009
  4. VorJack

barrie

barrie, Nov 26, 2009
  5. VorJack

freddie

My problem is that I did an online update on my Acer Aspire One and it hung - totally seized in one of the comms updates. The only way out was to remove the battery. But then it would only boot to a blank screen

So I got out my Recovery DVD and followed the instructions to create a recovery USB drive (a 2Gb SD Card) on my XP PC. BUT however I format the card - Fat or FAT 32 - I get: 'Error 39! Contact [email protected]' - but they have never answered other emails so why should they answer this one? ANYWAY my email bounced back! - so much for customer support!!!

Any clues?

Finally borrowed an IDE/USB convereter from a friend and reloaded from the DVD. System fine except no option to stop screensaver. So I did Live Update (Fool!) and it totally seized again! This is getting to be as bad as Windows!

freddie, Feb 21, 2010
Ask a Question