Audacity, Linpus, Recording

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jape, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jape

jape

I need some help understanding the device settings and input source settings on Audacity, Linpus, AA0.

I'd like to be able to record the sound going to the sound card when playing a media clip on a web page. I can do this on another PC with Cool Edit and XP, but have not been able to do this with Audacity, Linpus on AAO.

Can anyone advise what device settings to use to do this, or is there some limitation on AAO that makes this not possible.

On the Volume Control panel the only Input Source selections are Internal Mic or External Mic. In Audacity the available Record devices are;

OSS: /dev/dsp
    ALSA: default
    ALSA: HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,0)

but with the combinations I have tried I have not been able to record a media clip on a web page. I'd appreciate some help or pointers explaning what device/setting does what.

jape, Nov 4, 2008
  2. jape

jape

bump

jape, Nov 6, 2008
  3. jape

Duncan_Rowland

Hi Jape.
    I've been looking into this but no joy so far.
    I've tried Audacity on my main laptop and it records the audio playing on the sound card fine.
    I think the problem on the One is that there is no "Mix" channel to record from.
    I've tried using jack_capture, but that didn't work, and I can't see anything on the alsa website that helps.
    I don't know if it is also a problem with XP or other Linux disto's.
    Anyone else got any ideas? Perhaps it could be done with an external usb soundcard?
    We could try posting in hardware... viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6448

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 6, 2008
  4. jape

jape

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting more sources to select from on the volume control panel and I thought I might be missing something obvious. It's good to know it's not just me.

I've seen your posts in the hardware forum. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6448
    Shame your compile didn't work. Let's hope someone else can shed some light.

Regards, Jape

jape, Nov 7, 2008
  5. jape

Duncan_Rowland

Hi Jape,
    It is possible to intercept and record audio, and I've posted my "solution" in the hardware forum...
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6448#p42686
    However, It's not straight forward as it requires compiling alsa,
    and not very usable as it requires a reboot to switch between drivers,
    (and I'm not sure about volume levels and sound quality).
    I'm hoping there are people more knowledgeable than me who can fix this up to a more usable solution
    (as I think it's something quite a few people have asked to do).
    Best -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question