Audio Production Software on AAO

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Ubik, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Ubik

Ubik

I like to tinker with music production as a hobby, and I'd like to see how much of my software I can run on my AAO. So far, the only suite I've experimented with is installing Propellerheads Reason 4.0 on it. It runs, but in order to play more complex songs smoothly, I've had to jack up the latency, turn off high-quality samples and (this is the biggest downer right here) reduce output quality from 44100Hz to 22050Hz. It's not good enough to do full recording or live performance, but it's certainly good enough to sketch out ideas to work on later on a more powerful machine.

Has anybody else experimented with other audio software on the AAO? SoundForge, Ableton, Cubase, etc.?

I also have an external E-MU 0404 USB sound interface, but I don't know whether using it would increase or decrease CPU usage and, therefore, whether it'd help or hurt performance to try using it. Any ideas on this front?

Ubik, Sep 8, 2008
  2. Ubik

039166d

Im waiting for my AspireOne, I bought a malletKat from alternateMode and I would like to use the aspireOne as a portable sound module for my gigs.

I will experiment with Nuendo 3 and Cubase 3 and 2. I also have a USB bus powered M-Audio Fastrack audio device, so we'll see how it goes. The min req. for it are quite low (P3 500, 250 MB RAM)...

I might up the notch with plugins like Halion and see how it performs with that. We'll see, I'll be posting on that as soon as I get hands on my Aspire One and get all the proggies installed and running (as well as the M-audio usb thing). Even pics if I ever get the chance.

You have to seriously think of tweaking your XP to best DAW performance too. Lots of stuff online for that.

Cheers!
    :ugeek: :D

039166d, Sep 9, 2008
  3. Ubik

kankin

i am using m audio torq with the connectiv usb card and it works great

its kinda like traktor in a way and final scratch

and i have installed ableton 7.03 too but its a bit power hungry but fun anyway

wouldnt try reason or cubase though but portable sound forge works also for recording

great fun using audio on such a small machine and it sits nicely next to a set of 1210's and mixer

love the aspire and going to get another and network the two using teleport for dual setup

just wish it had firewire but looking into options with that

peace

kankin, Sep 15, 2008
  4. Ubik

PoV

I'm going to run out tonight and run some experiments on the AA1 at Future Shop. What I'd like to do is get the linux build of Renoise running on a Linspire $329'er. Best I can tell, it should go smoothly, but I'll report in later.

PoV, Sep 16, 2008
  5. Ubik

ankhaw93

Okay, forgive me for hijacking the thread a bit, but I posted this earlier and I've gotten no response... and since we're talking audio, maybe someone in this thread can help me?

When using the "mic in" jack I'm getting a noise. It only happens when I have a cord plugged into the mic in jack, and it happens to any cord I plug in, regardless of if I have a microphone plugged into the cord or not. The noise is a somewhat rythmic hum, repeating everyone 1.25 seconds, approximately.

I'm an audio engineer for radio broadcast, and I intend to use my Aspire One to record and playback audio, using the program Audacity. I've tried plugging in different microphones, cords, and audio sources, and I consistently get the noise. I've then tried some of the same cords and audio sources on another computer and NOT gotten the noise. I've also recorded some audio using the built-in microphone on the aspire one and NOT gotten the noise, so it seems to be only on the mic in jack on my new computer. The noise is directly affected by the volume setting on the recording section of the sound software on the computer... the louder the recording level is set, the louder the noise is, of course.

I have an MP3 recording of the noise, if anyone wants to hear it and help me diagnose...

Forgive how long this post is, but I wanted whoever reads this to know that while I'm not a computer expert, I AM very good with audio, and troubleshooting audio problems, and after checking and doublechecking and triplechecking, whatever problem is happening is centered on the "mic in" jack on the computer, not with any other audio source, cable, or my recording software.

I hadn't thought of using a USB interface, I'm not familiar with them at all... I don't need ANY kind of bells and whistles for one, all I need is something for me to get clean mic or line level monaural audio into my computer, and I can adapt to pretty much any type of connector.

So, anyone have any thoughts?

ankhaw93, Sep 18, 2008
  6. Ubik

liquidtwitch

fl8 and audacity work really well.. havn't tried anything complex in fl yet but it should handle ok..
    you do need head phones/external speakers to be able to do drums/bass though.

liquidtwitch, Sep 18, 2008
  7. Ubik

wacintoshinux

I'm using Traktor v 3.4 with my music collection on an SD card and datafiles on the SSD of my A110 and it works great. Traktor sometimes hiccups when my xp power scheme is set to "max battery", but putting it in "always on" or "laptop/portable" mode allows for decent performance and battery life.

I've also used Audacity on it with an external m-audio audio interface and it worked great in stereo recording @ 24bit/96khz.

wacintoshinux, Sep 18, 2008
  8. Ubik

radmon_rokz

Hey guys, I just got an aspire one recently but I'm having a problem. I record guitar tracks every now and then, so I downloaded audacity, but I can't seem to get the input to work. The guitar is giving out no noise at all, I had no trouble recording with my old laptop. It seems that you guys are able to record instruments though, just wondering what I'm doing wrong, thanks.

radmon_rokz, Sep 19, 2008
  9. Ubik

jackluo923

Adobe Audition 2.0 and adobe audition cs3 works fine on 160Gb AAO 150

jackluo923, Sep 28, 2008
  10. Ubik

kankin

i am now successfully usin logic studio with iatkos install on external hd and i am way surprised at the usefulness of the system

recommend it for anyone lookin to use as a daw

k

kankin, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question