Auto up date hell!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Obeonecanopener, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Obeonecanopener

Obeonecanopener

Hi all. How do I turn auto update off? I thought I had turned this off but now I can't seem to find it. And today I got an update (add spelcheck) and before I could do anything, it wiped out my settings, put my home page back to moz, ticked the box that say remember PW's and took out over 2 months worth of book marks! Second time this has happened; any ideas folks. And: Why can't I lock my home page in?
    Thanks guys.
    Obe.

Obeonecanopener, Dec 21, 2008
  2. Obeonecanopener

daldred

When you say 'auto update', I'm not clear what you mean. In Linpus, there is the Live Update functionality; by default all updates are selected so that if you run it it will install all the updates - but you do have to run it, it won't run itself, or at least I've not found any such option (and would not select it if I did!).

You can allow updates to be deselected by following the instructions here: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/optional-updates-on-acer-aspire-one.html.

daldred, Dec 21, 2008
  3. Obeonecanopener

Obeonecanopener

Hi David. The update is from Mozilla offering spell check add on in enmail. Second time I've had this happen and I just loose everything both times.
    Cheers.
    Obe.

Obeonecanopener, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Obeonecanopener

daldred

If it's Firefox updates which are the issue, then start Firefox, and go to Edit->Preferences, then select the Advanced and Update tabs; the options are there.

However, under Linux, the options to auto-update Firefox should be greyed out as they normally require root access, so I'm not clear how you've managed to set them in the first place!

daldred, Dec 21, 2008
  5. Obeonecanopener

Obeonecanopener

Hi David. Yep, strange that I can see the update selection in Edit/Pref/Adv/ And I can change them at will (as before) Though I just ticked 'Ask me what to do' and everything has greyed out? Conffffuuusssed! Hope I don't need to get back in there! If so, I'll be back!
    Thanks for your help.
    Obe.

Obeonecanopener, Dec 23, 2008
Ask a Question