Auto Update broke the OS.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Boomer_K, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Boomer_K

Boomer_K

I did an auto update last night. It said everything was ok after installation, but on reboot, I got no icons in the desktop, the trackpad wouldn't work, and the keys were locked. After a minute, I got a "HAL cannot initialize" error. I had a recovery key ready, so I reinstalled linpus. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this issue, since I'd like to be able to update my system without problems. I searched the forum, but came up with little.

Boomer_K, Oct 30, 2008
  2. Boomer_K

Duncan_Rowland

Can you remember what modifications (if any) you made before you auto-updated?

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 30, 2008
  3. Boomer_K

Boomer_K

I activated the advanced desktop, and installed GIMP. I also installed and deleted irfan. That's it.

Boomer_K, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Boomer_K

nugroho2

I don't believe that this happens again. I experienced this around one month ago, when UI.sh was wrongly posted in Acer's autoupdate and caused a lot of AA1 to break. I did manual update using the files in the cache (var/cache/online-updater if I am not mistaken), except this sh file.

nugroho2, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question