Autopackage

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sican, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sican

sican

Hi I've had my Acer Aspire one for a month now and starting to get my head around Linpus Linux Lite.
    I'm a trainee teacher and want to install Smart Notebook on my netbook. I found the Linux download on their site. http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Supp ... 7Linux.htm So I downloaded it and then I get a bit stuck. I've tried extracting and when I try to open the package I get the following message
    "The autopackage support code could not be installed. It can be manually downloaded and installed by running the installation script located in the downloaded archive."

Can anyone please talk me through how to get the package to install.

Many thanks

Si

sican, Feb 2, 2009
  2. sican

daldred

OK; have you decompressed the archive? The standard Xarchiver can do this for you.

Once it's decompressed into a directory, go to that directory in the file manager, and see what's in there. Can you see something like 'install.sh'?

(I can't check myself without downloading the software, and they seem to want personal details before allowing a download).

daldred, Feb 3, 2009
  3. sican

sican

This is what I've been doing
    downloaded package from Smart site - Firefox saved to downloads
    Went to downloads folder file is called smartboardsoftware9.7.68.0.package.tar.gz (TGZ icon)
    Xarchiver launches - I'm then presented with lots of files mostly linxux hardware notes
    I think the file I want is that says .package seems only logical one and I've tried extracting is this the right action?
    I've tried extracting it to my documents etc
    The file is now says shell script when I click on properties icon sh.
    When I try and run it I get the error about the auto package support code.
    What am I doing wrong?

sican, Feb 4, 2009
  4. sican

daldred

What I think you need to do is extract the whole archive - open the .tar.gx file with Xarchiver, don't select anything, click the extract icon and allow it to extract all the files into a new directory somewhere (I think they'll probably be archived within a directory structure anyway, so you could just extract them into your Downloads directory).

Now in that directory is there anything which looks like an install script?

daldred, Feb 4, 2009
  5. sican

sican

Still get the same error message :(
    But there is a folder there appears when the error message apperas Autopackage...> Meta or payload from meta>@smarttech.com>SmartsoftwareLinux> then there are lots of folders and other icons apkg-downloader, apkg-instals-script, apkg-installer, apkg-prep-instal-script, apkg-updater etc
    I tried searching around and get no joy.
    Can anyone try installing the software it's free for education use.

sican, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question