AVG stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Belfrybat, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat

Hello. Is there anyone who can tell me how to fix a problem I'm having with AVG on the Aspire One? I use the free version, and it was working flawlessly until 12/24. When I try to update I get the message: Invalid Update Control CTF File. I can't fine any reference to this message in the Help file or on the AVG website. I'm on very slow dial-up connection, so re-downloading and installing will be difficult -- took 1-1/2 hours to download the first time. Thank you.

Belfrybat, Jan 1, 2009
  2. Belfrybat

GvidoR

I wouldn't recommend AVG anti-virus because they released a virus update that lets it know that user32.dll file, which is required in order to boot up Windows is a virus. I don't know if they fixed it yet but I would recommend Avira AntiVir Free Personal Antivirus. Works very well and is about 2x smaller than AVG.

Download: www.freeav.com

GvidoR, Jan 1, 2009
  3. Belfrybat

caulktel

I install AVG several times a day on customers computers then do all updates and I have never seen or heard of the problem you are talking about.

caulktel, Jan 1, 2009
  4. Belfrybat

GvidoR

5. Belfrybat

caulktel

If you had actually taken the time read any of those articles you would have seen this from AVG's site:

"Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the mentioned virus on legitimate files. We can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released a new virus update (270.9.0/1778) that removes the false positive detection on this file. Please update your AVG and check your files again."

That virus update was back at the beginning of November 2008. If people are installing old versions of any type of software and not getting the current updates this kind of thing happens, hence the reason I mentioned in my initial post, that I never had any problems with a "UPDATED" AVG install. All virus scanning software will report false positives at some time or another and correct it. Even the guy at Arstechnica stated that he didn't know if any of the others did these also. So lets not bad mouth a fine piece of software for such a small error.

caulktel, Jan 1, 2009
  6. Belfrybat

bubbalooo

bubbalooo, Nov 16, 2009
Ask a Question