backgrounds

Discussion in 'Linux' started by drchandra9, Feb 18, 2009.

1. drchandra9

drchandra9

Hello peeps.Am very new to this site and linpus lite on AA1 so please be patient with my newbie ramblings.OK first of all when i set the background image in desktop settings it disappears when i reboot!Not sure why this is -could anybody help please.The same is true of my skydome image in compiz!I am sure that these settings do not need to be reactivated every time i start up but i'm probably wrong.Please help.I do have a few other niggles but will start out gently i think!

drchandra9, Feb 18, 2009
  2. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi drchandra9

The "backgrounds" are held in a folder called "backdrops" and this is located in /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. You need to select this location against File in the Desktop Settings. Anywhere else will not default on boot.
    You can copy a file into the backdrops folder by using the Terminal as follows;

Select Terminal via Alt + F2
    then Run
    then type sudo thunar and hit the Enter key
    browse in file manager to where the picture you wish to use is stored e.g. /mnt/home/pictures
    select picture then right click and select copy.
    then browse to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops right click on folder and Paste into Folder
    then close file manager and return to the desktop settings and the picture file can then be selected from the backdrops folder.

Don't use Compiz but that may be the same problem.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 18, 2009
  3. drchandra9

drchandra9

ok .Went to terminal,typed in sudo thunar and hit enter.then i went to my downloads folder and selected a jpg.i right clicked it and copied it.then i opened settings manager and went to desktop.i then went to the appearance tab.i then clicked on the folder button which brings up the folders.the backdrops folder is in here,when i right click on that folder it just says remove or rename.It doesnt come up with paste options.when i click the folder button in desktop pref it brings up all the folders including downloads and backdrops but i just cant seem to get anything into the backdrops folder.This is getting silly now as it should be really simple but is not.Should i try a hammer yet.

drchandra9, Feb 19, 2009
  4. drchandra9

drchandra9

Hello.Peeps.I have some more info on the elusive backdropsfolder.When i try to open it, it says that it cannot open it as nautilus file manager is not running.Any ideas on how to make nautilus filemanager run!!?Thank you for all help so far everyone!

drchandra9, Feb 19, 2009
  5. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi
    The following is what I said

then Run
    then type sudo thunar and hit the Enter key
    browse in file manager to where the picture you wish to use is stored e.g. /mnt/home/pictures
    select picture then right click and select copy.
    then browse to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops right click on folder and Paste into Folder
    then close file manager and return to the desktop settings and the picture file can then be selected from the backdrops folder.

You do not appear to have followed line 6 of the above but gone to line 7 and tried to paste there. Lines 4,5 and 6 are all done in File Manager. I never said COPY to the backdrops folder in Desktop Settings.

In Linpus the "Backdrops" folder only has Root permission and not "User" permission that is why you cannot do a normal Copy/Paste.

Notice you mention Nautilus but Thunar is the standard file manager in Linpus? In Thunar you can open "Backdrops" but you cannot do anything with it unless you change its Permission and the "sudo thunar" line above allows you to do that from a terminal command. Not silly but simple!!!!!!!

solpuerto, Feb 19, 2009
  6. drchandra9

drchandra9

its line 6 that i can't do.Can you please explain how to browse to backdrops in detail,like maybe step by step as i am a numpty!!

drchandra9, Feb 19, 2009
  7. drchandra9

drchandra9

hello all.OK i've figured it out with a little quality tutoring from daldred.Thank you for your patience every one!Now to fix that jerky video on compiz!Am enjoying learning this os!

drchandra9, Feb 19, 2009
  8. drchandra9

barrie

Hmmm drchandra9

You are double posting, I gave you this info on your other thread.

barrie, Feb 19, 2009
  9. drchandra9

drchandra9

sorry about the double posting guys,i am new to using forums as well as linpus .This is my first computer in eight years so i pardon the stupidity.Thank you for all the help..

drchandra9, Feb 19, 2009
  10. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi
    When you input sudo thunar and then enter you will have seen a screen like this;
    [attachment=1:224zn0r9]Sudo Thunar.png[/attachment:224zn0r9]
    You select your picture and Copy.
    If you then click View just under File Manager and then highlight Side Pane and tick Tree the File Manager screen should change to the following;
    [attachment=0:224zn0r9]Sudo Thunar1.png[/attachment:224zn0r9]
    If you then scroll down under File System until you see "usr", click on it and then double click on the "share" folder in the right hand pane, then scroll down the right hand pane till you find "xfce4" folder and double click on it. The second folder in will be "backdrops". If you right click on it you will get a small menu and you want "Paste into Folder".

Incidently you will also see "Properties" at the bottom of the small menu, if you click that you will see the folder permissions.

You say daldred gave you a tutorial yet barrie also gave you one in your other post so it is not clear what instruction you followed to get it working. The method covered by barrie does work but the Acer default folder for their standard backgrounds is "backdrops".

Anyway glad you have it working now.

solpuerto, Feb 20, 2009
  11. drchandra9

barrie

Hi solpuerto,

The only reason I use the pixmaps folder instead of backdrops is because I keep all my imported images here so things are tidy and in one place. ;)

@ drchandra9,

I am pleased all is OK now. :)

barrie, Feb 20, 2009
  12. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi barrie
    I did not realise that pixmaps could be used in the same way as backdrops. We learn something every day!!
    Do you enter each file through the terminal as you outlined in your other post or have you changed the permission of the folder? I did this with backdrops to make things much easier. I would not normally do it with a root folder but considering what it contains I cannot see a problem.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 20, 2009
  13. drchandra9

barrie

Hi solpuerto

Yes we learn all the time, I have only had my box for a few months and had not thought about the backdrops folder (pictures) either, as pixmaps holds all Icons as well. Also no have not given permission so as to multi file transfer was a little worried :? about doing this for a root folder, but I will maybe try this.

Regards
    Barrie

barrie, Feb 21, 2009
  14. drchandra9

Primariski

hi solpuerto.
    i love the look of ur desktop.
    would u mind to tell me how u do that?

*thx*

Primariski, Feb 24, 2009
  15. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi Primariski

Thanks for the comment and I assume you are refering to the windows type backround behind the Terminal and File Manager screens.
    I followed the procedure by rjm in the following link;

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

The lines of code may look daunting but it is easier to follow than you may at first think. I had problems with this line "sudo cp ~/Pictures/{filename.jpg} /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/{filename.jpg}" but I later discovered it was due to me not understanding the code and I had the background pictures I wanted to use on an SD card therefore the code should have been different for my setup.

That is why I discovered what I believe is an easier way as outlined above.

I notice this is your 1st post on the Forum therefore I suggest you google "macles" and look at his blog, he has many good suggestions for the Aspire but the one I find most useful is on creating a backup and restore USB. It works great and allows you to play about with the Aspire knowing that if you mess it up you can restore to your last working set up.

Hope you find the above useful and best wishes.

solpuerto, Feb 24, 2009
  16. drchandra9

Primariski

thanx for the response and the advice.
    i'll check this out. :D

Primariski, Feb 24, 2009
  17. drchandra9

scheuergut

Hi!

I'm new here, and maybe i'm stupid... but i seemed to have missed the part where the solution is for the problem: can't paste in backdrops. :?:

I am having the same problem. I followed all the steps and then can't paste the picture in backdrops. The properties are: root, read & write, root, read only, read only. I've changed the read only's into read and write, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. The picture i want as background is a jpg.

So maybe somebody can please tell me-stupid what to do... in easy words... :mrgreen:

Thank you!!!

scheuergut, Feb 26, 2009
  18. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi scheuergut

Both my posts and barrie's give a solution.

If you have followed all the steps in either they will work.

You say I've changed the read only's into read and write.

How did you do this and presumably you changed the permissions to "user". If that is what you have done you should be able to copy and paste anything into the "backdrops" folder as you are the user and the backdrops folder no longer belongs to root.

In the standard Acer "backdrops" folder there are several files to select without doing any of the above, have you been able to get them to work?

Best wishes.

solpuerto, Feb 26, 2009
  19. drchandra9

scheuergut

Hi solpuerto,

Ok, i'll do exactly what you write:

then Run
    then type sudo thunar and hit the Enter key Done-ok
    select picture then right click and select copy. Done-ok
    then browse to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops Done-ok
    right click on folder and Paste into Folder aaaah... i have to click backdrops first, so it turns blue!! Then i can paste!

Restart... IT WORKS!! *bigsmile*
    Ups... Sorry... maybe i'm really a tiny little bit stupid... :roll:

scheuergut, Feb 26, 2009
  20. drchandra9

solpuerto

Hi scheuergut

Glad you got it working, easy when you know how.
    I know the feeling :roll:

best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 26, 2009
Ask a Question