Backttrack 3 connecting to wifi networks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by geekyhawkes, Apr 7, 2009.

1. geekyhawkes

geekyhawkes

Right, so what am i doing wrong? I have found lots of guides on bt3 telling you how to crack wep etc but all i want to do in this case is connect to an open wifi network. I have tried both of the kde wifi manager tools available from within the internet menu but have had no luck reaching any internet page.

Please can someone help a kde biff (thank goodness for gnome!)

geekyhawkes, Apr 7, 2009
  2. geekyhawkes

AK963

What has Back Track got to do with connecting to open networks, you should just be able to use the built in applet to connect. Have you installed drivers for your distro? because they won't come as default on most distro's.

AK963, Apr 7, 2009
  3. geekyhawkes

DVS_Dee

check the guides on youtube they're easy to follow and show all the steps. Where is it that you're getting stuck?

DVS_Dee, Apr 8, 2009
  4. geekyhawkes

geekyhawkes

i have tried using kwlanmgr and it says i am connected to the network, but when i open firefox i cannot get to any web page so i am pretty sure i havent connected correctly. I know the wifi card works under bt as i managed to crack my home wep following the guides around. I am trying to connect to an open network at home to see if i can get ettercap and urlsnarf working. Its just i am not that used to kde.

geekyhawkes, Apr 9, 2009
  5. geekyhawkes

HappyHarry

is networkmanager running? try
    Code:
    NetworkManager

on the command line then right click the network connection widget on the panel and see if the network you want to connect too is showing under your wireless card, i'd also suggest moving to BT4beta ;)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 9, 2009
  6. geekyhawkes

geekyhawkes

Cheers phil il give it a go. Ive been waiting for the final rel of bt4 but i guess i might as well make the jump now.

geekyhawkes, Apr 13, 2009
Ask a Question