Backup and Restore function

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ukthesis, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ukthesis

ukthesis

I am attempting to get to grips with the Backup and Restore function. I use Windows 7 home edition and an Acer computer. Is there a guide to this? If not, I "think" I may have done it (at any rate it displayed as "though" I'd done it correctly). I saved them to my external hard drive from a desktop folder. The contents should be saved in the external drive. But after I "completed" to Backup process, I looked in the external drive and the files there were the old ones and not those just uploaded using Backup.

However, it occurred to me that perhaps the updated files are not shown when I check on the external drive. They are stored AWAY from it.

If this isn't true, is there anyone who can show me how to correctly Backup my files please?

ukthesis, Jul 12, 2011
  2. ukthesis

something back

Listed in this other section request “how to guide” on the forum are some tips

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32044

General Rule - Not all files are visible

Some system files are hidden from view. Reasons: Some important system files may be deleted by the user by inexperience, oversight or by accident. You can see that it has its dangers.

You can gain access to these hidden folders and files by clicking on “my computer”, “organize” then “folder and search options”. In the next menu click on “view” in the “advanced settings” you will see the “hidden files and folder”, folder. Listed are “don’t show hidden files” and below it “show hidden files and folders” also “hide empty drives” and finally “hide extensions” .

“For normal use, other than for experimenting with, its advisable to return the setting back to default”

General rules not all files are visible
    An example: Some people find this when trying to cut copy paste files to say for burning a CD.

The cd when tried fails because some hidden files were not copied over. Reason is they were still
    hidden by the system in the section “folder and search options” and the computers settings have not been altered in the “folder and search options” beforehand.

something back, Jul 14, 2011
Ask a Question