Backup and Restore of a Good iAtkos4i Install ?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by paulsilv, Sep 22, 2008.

1. paulsilv

paulsilv

I have finally been able to complete a viable iAtkos4i install. I am trying to find a solid method to create a full backup and restore. I have tried SuperDuper 2.5 with an external usb hard drive. The usb drive was setup as a GUID NFS+ partition as required by SuperDuper and I did a total backup. The software is supposed to make the usb drive bootable. On restart I reset the bios to boot from this usb drive. No luck! The system justs sits there with a blinking cursor and no HD activity. I would really appreciate finding out any other methods that anyone has found to preserve a good install.

paulsilv, Sep 22, 2008
  2. paulsilv

rory

yeah i have used superduper before with the same result
    i think you need to install osx fully to it, then do the super duper backup to the osx install
    but first make sure you can boot off the usb hdd which it should do anyway
    and make the partition on the external hdd with osx on it the same size as the one on the one (be it 8 or 120GB)
    the problem lies with the fact that there is no efi emualtion on the external hdd. maybe installing jsut the efi emulation mght work, but im not sure, t only takes half hour to install o anexternal hdd for me, and its such a great way to backup, especially if you do daily backups: youve got the exact sae thing on 2 seperate places. then if anything happens ont he main one, you can just superduper back to the original
    thats why i like superduper better than time machine. i installed yesterday, then and installed everything, and was trying to do the deleting aaplecpupowermanagement.kext while isntalling 10.5.5 but it didnt work, fully fucked up, so reinstalled, tried to use the old timemachine backup to restore, and didnt work, and now time machine doesnt work at all... so super duper all the way for me

rory, Sep 22, 2008
  3. paulsilv

johnwillo

I've backed up with SuperDuper to a USB HD. Not sure if I'll be able to boot from HD to restore, though. I should have checked that. I also used Norton Ghost from my Windows partition to back up my OS X partition. I have no idea if that is even supposed to work, but it seemed like an easy enough thing to try.

Does anybody have any experience backing up Linux or Mac OS X partitions with Ghost? I'd like some confirmation that at least one of my backup techniques works without erasing my Acer to experiment!

[EDIT] Looks like I'll be okay; Ghost apparently makes a bit-copy of file systems that it doesn't understand, which restore correctly:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ ... 44156.html

johnwillo, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question