Backup Questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by supton, Aug 17, 2008.

1. supton

supton

I'm not familiar with Linux, but I'm willing to try. [Do not have AA1 yet.] I read that it comes with a recovery disk; but what about doing actual backups? Like, I install this_and_that, it works; then I put in whachamacallit, and everything breaks. But let's say I was smart and had done a backup before hand, so I don't need to go all the way to the beginning. Is this handled by making an image? [I am playing with knoppix on an old laptop at the moment, and it does something with an image to my USB drive so as to remember settings.]

Next question: can I burn these backups [images?] direct to a DVD burner? Or is it best to go to a USB drive, then I can burn to something else? I am looking at putting together a desktop with DVD burner and a fair amount of drive space, so it may be possible for me to store things there.

supton, Aug 17, 2008
  2. supton

rbil

There are all sorts of backup software packages available in the repo. One that I've been using is fwbackups. Backup my system to a USB key.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 17, 2008
  3. supton

Sid

Image files can be stored almost anywhere, certainly in all the places you mention.

Sid, Aug 17, 2008
Ask a Question