Backup System Using An External USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rbil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. rbil

rbil

It does a complete backup of the SSD drive to an external 8GB flash key. The fact that you have a hard drive as opposed to a SSD drive means that the system won't work, as an 8GB flash key doesn't have enough storage capacity to backup a hard drive. The system CAN be used to backup a hard drive, but it would require using an external USB hard drive as opposed to a flash key to backup to. Should you be interested in doing that, I can give you instructions on how it can be done.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 16, 2008
  2. rbil

jinx022

I like PING which uses partimage to image a disk partition and dd for the mbr. The gzip compression is fast and generally reduces the images size to half size of the data on the partition. If you have an 80GB partition with 5GB used then the image will be approximately 2.5GB. So you may be able to store the image on the bootable USB flash drive with PING itself. The details are at: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3182&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p31803. Since it is a partition image, it doesn't matter whether the partition is on a HD or SSD and can be either Linux or Windows file systems.

rbils' backup solution looks much easier to use than PING which asks several questions compared to his excellent 1-2-3 approach. If you try PING be sure to download and read the documentation too.

jinx022, Nov 16, 2008
  3. rbil

philw

thanks - I do have large USB external drives so backing up to those would be fine, assuming they can also be booted from, which is what I'm reading here. I'll PM you (assuming I can figue out something as simple as that..).

philw, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question