BAD wifi card??

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cc56259, Aug 28, 2008.

1. cc56259

cc56259

i just bought my aa1 yesterday and love it, all except for the fact that my wifi card is annoyingly slow. I can plug in a netgear usp drive (both are 11mbps) and get the full speed of my internet roughtly 2m, when i use the internal wifi card i get passed by dialup, somewhere around 30k or less. i did the power mod for it being unpluged althought it doesnt matter either way.

my main question is do they all do this>? or is my wifi card just shot,
    is there better card to use so that i dont have to carry the usb version to surf with>

cc56259, Aug 28, 2008
  2. cc56259

crowman

Hi there - chances are that your Wi-Fi card is simply set to Power Saving mode. Had the same problem and it's easily sorted. Go to Control Panel and select 'System', within here hit the 'Hardware' tab and then the 'Device Manager' button. Open up the 'Network Adaptors' drop down and right click on the Atheros card. Select 'Properties' and then the 'Advanced' tab. This brings up a selector that has 802.11b Preamble at the top. About half way down the box is 'Power Save Mode' ... which when clicked on can be set to 'Normal'.

Your Wi-Fi card will disconnect briefly and then reconnect .... and all will work as hoped for.

crowman, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question