Banshee and Gnome anyone

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sebdotthomas, Aug 18, 2008.

1. sebdotthomas

sebdotthomas

Hi guys, been playing with my new one, and i've tried ubuntu on it but i kind of like the linpus setup so i've decided to go back to that and learned a bit about the terminal to open it up a bit more but i've hit a bit of a problem.

tried to install gnome and banshee on my aspire one with yum extender and it keeps giving me the same error:
    Transaction Check Error: file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched

guesing that it's a file to do with the acer customisations to the Xfce desktop (check out the superslooth!) but can't find that file and wouldn't know what was safe to do if i did!

I really like banshee and having the gnome option would be nice too. i like how fast the linpus system boots though and it's pretty user friendly once you get the menu working etc but i also quite like banshee and would like to get the new version running as i am an apple convert gone native (even gone for the agua theme!) and alot of my music and movies are in itunes/quicktime formats.

any help for this relative newbie would be greatly received.

ST

sebdotthomas, Aug 18, 2008
  2. sebdotthomas

sumcocan

i have the same problem... some friends said to me thats will be better to install ubunbtu..
    maybe that i try ubuntu , becuse the desktop of ubuntu is similar to Mac OS X

sumcocan, Aug 26, 2008
  3. sebdotthomas

pug2

Just trying to bump this thread as i am currently having this problem. anyone have any suggestions??

pug2, Oct 26, 2008
  4. sebdotthomas

rbil

Reading the error, the problem is a conflict with a gnome dependency and specific library files that Acer is using. It might be possible to force the required gnome libraries to be installed, but that might break Acer's system. So wouldn't advise you to try and do it, unless someone comes along that says it'll be alright to do so.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 27, 2008
  5. sebdotthomas

terry_gardener

terry_gardener, Dec 24, 2008
Ask a Question