Banshee

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kingston, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kingston

kingston

Hi,

Downloaded and attempted on Terminal to install Banshee using sudo yum install banshee with Banshee directory in the downloads directory after downloading the zip file and extracting....it refuses to install???

Anyone put Banshee on the acer to date, and if you could let me know how it was done it would be very much appreciated. The kids are not having too much patience for the linux os....

Thanks,

Kingston :roll:

kingston, Dec 30, 2008
  2. kingston

markh

Hi, I can't help with installing banshee specifically, but I can tell you that you're conflating 2 different install methods. Yum will, if you ask it for the correct package, download and install that package from a repository (a download location with programs compatible with your version of linux), plus sorting out any extras you need. (In theory at least...). So it's not the correct method to use to install from a file you've already downloaded. You need to see what the file(s) you downloaded need (might have an installer, or need copying somewhere, or might need compiling, etc etc), or find how to get banshee via yum.

markh, Dec 31, 2008
  3. kingston

kingston

Ok,

Thanks for responding, but maybe I miss typed as Banshee for Fedora had the following instructions:

Fedora
    Install via yum: yum install banshee

The linpus, I believe, is a Fedora variant? so it should install from yum?? Then you need the sudo in order to execute the yum....The download was a windows approach mistake.....

I understand from banshee site that others are having a problem but this appears to be a linpus os question. Anyone out there worked out the installation of banshee on the acer......

Kingston

kingston, Dec 31, 2008
  4. kingston

kingston

Also,

In the attempt to download after the yum command it downloaded a number of files which resulted in the following errors??

Transaction Check Error:
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of
    gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package
    xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of
    gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package
    xfdesktop-acer-lp-1522.no_spot.mcs_patched

Any ideas???

Kingston

kingston, Dec 31, 2008
  5. kingston

cowan283

this can be sorted out with the instructions on macles blog, he has a section on dependency problems and this one is solved with #3. i followed the instructions and now have banshee working fine http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/depe ... e-one.html

good luck everyone

cowan283, Feb 6, 2009
  6. kingston

cowan283

right scrub that last post, it lets you install and use banshee but it won't play music. i'll try to find out how to do the next bit

cowan283, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question