Basic command questions:

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Pierre, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Pierre

Pierre

I'm using Macles' guide to install OpenOffice3:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/10/installing-openoffice-30-on-acer-aspire.html
    Now it didn't work, so I'm doing it again... the first function also uninstalls OO3 so that's all good, I can just start again it seems.

When I get this kind of commands:

tar -zvxf OOo*
    sudo rpm -i OOO*/RPMS/o*
    sudo rpm -i OOO*/RPMS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-redhat*

Do I need to type each line individually, press enter, wait for it to finish, then the next one?
    Or do I need to copy the whole thing and paste it as a whole, then press enter and let it go?

I'm having similar doubts about this one:
    sudo mv $HOME/openofficeorg* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
    sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor

Thanks if you can help!

P

Pierre, Feb 11, 2009
  2. Pierre

Grim Squeaker

Line for line.
    The tar command unpacks the downloaded archive containing all the files you need.
    The sudo rpm commands then order the One to install all those files. Have a teabreak after you typed the first; it takes a while.

Additionally:
    The sudo mv $HOME/openofficeorg* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps command moves (mv) the high resolution icons you backed up earlier to the correct location.
    Then the icon database is reflushed with the next command.

Grim Squeaker, Feb 12, 2009
  3. Pierre

Pierre

Thanks! Nothing worked though so I just eventually reinstalled OO2.3, then there were some issues with the icons so I said French it and I recovered the whole system. Now to find out how to back everything up just in case...

Pierre, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question